Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do Peavey Cirrus' have good resale value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Oct 21, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'm looking if anybody here would know how much a used but mint condition 4 string Claro walnut Cirrus would go for. They list for $1900 new. I can't find any that have sold recently on Ebay. Need a response ASAP! Thanks!

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    No.

They usually sell pretty low.
    4 strings: $600 - $800
    5 strings: $700 - $900
    6 strings: $900 - $1100

They are an excellent investment.... if you buy them used.

3. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Sadly, when people see Peavey on the headstock, they shy away from it. They don't know what they're missing.

However, don't choose a bass because you want to be able to sell it. If you want a bass, buy one that you know you won't want to sell. I've not seen many people who were dissatisfied with their Cirri.

4. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Thanks for the responses guys, this is what I thought. I was looking at buying one of these for resale later, but I think it's better to not go through with this deal.

Fender, on the other hand. . . :smug:

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Well considering I don't own a jazz I can't get that "tone" Never really played a Musiciman. I've played many p-basses. I can honestly say I've got really close to the p sound. Its there I just have to find it.

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Aren't you supposed to be in the other thread? :D

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    What the heck?

8. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You were replying to the Uberbass thread, weren't you?

9. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    The only way you mitigate depreciation is to buy used and in my experience a 70's Fender jazz would give you a good return if you ever wanted to sell it later.

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    They seem to hold their used value ( the $800-$1100 price) but you will always loose money if you buy new. I paid $700 for my Bubinga 4 string after watching and bidding on about 8 others that went over 800 in the 6 months prior. I liked the Wenge, and probably would have paid a bit more for it, but I don't doubt that I'll at least get back what I put into the bass, provided it stays in it's current excellent shape. It wasn't clear from your post if you were considering buying a new one hoping for good resale or a used one hoping for it to hold it's value. I'd say buy one if you can get it used in that price range. You will easily get most if not all of it back. I wouldn't buy new unless you planned on keeping it for a long time and felt the drop in value was worth it to you. (It would be to me, but I couldn't afford the NEW price...)

11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

I was replying to the one titled "what bass does it all?" I guess I wasn't paying attion? :confused:

12. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    My maple 4 string sold for $680 on Ebay about 2 years ago. It was in PERFECT shape. I was hoping for more, of course.

Again, "Peavey" is one of those brands that have a percieved negative connotation (which in the case of the Cirrus, is totally injustified!). They just don't hold their value as much.

Old Bromberg models do seem to fetch a good price - anywhere from $800 - $1200 on the 'bay depending on condition!

Jon

13. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    We will just say there was a rip in the space-time continuum and leave it at that.

Regarding the topic, Cirrii may not retain their value but DAMN! they play and sound great.

14. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Let me explain what's going on:

Local store is having a special sale today where you buy one instrument at the full list price, you get the second instrument of equal or lesser value at a penny. They have a Fender Jaco Pastorius signature and this Peavey Cirrus for the same list price. I was thinking I would buy the Jaco, get the Cirrus for nothing and then sell the Cirrus or even both basses hoping to make maybe a few hundred bucks overall. I'm not really interested in owning either of these basses ( I don't play fretless and swore off of Peavey basses long ago), but it looks like there's not much demand for the Jaco bass as well. They also had a 75 Reissue Jazz but the fretboard had a crack in it and the action was really high and not even adjustable. I think I made the right decision in not purchasing either of these as my profit would be minimal and probably not worth the hassle of selling both of these.

They also had a used but mint Spector Euro 4-string marked at $1100, that they would have sold me for $900 but with no case. I've seen these sell already for $700-800 on Ebay so I passes that up too. Oh well, there's always vintage Fenders to aquire that I know will go up in value someday!

15. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    WHAT STORE WOULD THAT BE?!?!?! :hyper:

16. Have you actually played a Cirrus? You might change your mind about Peavey.

17. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    My best recommendation is to just buy one used. You won't really lose money on them...and they are around. I can relate the sound of a Cirrus to Ken Smith basses. I was playing in a local high end shop with my Cirrus, waiting for my lesson, and from behind an older gentlemen said, "Aren't Ken Smith's Heaven?"... I chuckingly replied "yes they are...too bad there aren't any in this shop". His face turned from perplexed to jaw dropped surprised :eek:. Anyway, they are incredible values for the amount of money you spend...used that is.

18. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan

Let's just say that it isn't anywhere near Maine! It's only a one day deal that they run twice a year. When it comes around again in the spring I'll let you guys know what they have in stock and see if anybody wants in on a great deal. They deal in Fender, Ibanez, Peavey, Washburn, and Warwick.

19. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    They have a 6 string Cirrus with a quilted top that lists for $2100 I believe. It fell off the shelf at one point and has a couple of gouges on the front of the body. They are selling it for half of the list price. Unfortunately, I have no interest in playing a 6 string. Anybody here interested? I could pick it up for you and ship it out; of course, I'd have to make a little commission off of it! :p