Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do people actually buy instruments based on who endorses them

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 17, 2001.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This question has been bothering me for a while. I've never steered towards Fender just because Geddy Lee plays them, or Rickenbacker because Paul McCartney plays one. I play an instrument because I've checked them out and like them.

Granted though, I've never played a Carvin in my life, but I wouldn't think anything of buying one out of the catalog if I had the money, just for the fact I've heard numerous players on them, and they sound awesome.

I'm thinking that endorsement works more on a line of getting new musicians to buy their products. Such as the kid who idolizes Eddie Van Halen. Then when he finally decides to play guitar, he learns that Eddie plays Peavey so he buys a Peavey. That's just my hypothesis though.

What are your opinions?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It depends on not whether you're a fan of the person that plays them, but how much they influence you. I'm a HUGE Stanley Clark fan, but I hate Alembics. At the same time, Stu Zender was the biggest influnce on me, so that made me look into Warwicks. After I realized that they were good basses, I stuck with them. I know a guy who worships Flea, but he wouldn't be caught dead with a Modulus.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i dont know.. but i endorse them because i USE them!!! MTD and Lakland ( and previously Modulus)

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't have one piece of gear that I bought based on an endorsement. I did let that sway me when I was younger... once. Lesson learned.

5. i have a yamaha and no band i really like endorses them. but i did check out the ibanez phat - hed pedel because robbie from godsmack used it, and from reviews on the net, and tried it and liked it.
    So it goes both ways for me. and my amp is peavey because its the one i liked when i tried it.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Adrian, you have a cool ass site!

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    thanks, man!! ill be tending to it myslef from now on- the pics link on my personal side is out right now- but there are pics of some great players there!!! i'll fix it as soon as i get back home this week- peace!!!

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Long, long ago.....in a galaxy far, far away....I tried an Alembic bass because I LOVED Stanley Clarke's tone and wanted to see if it was because of the bass.

I couldn't find his tone, :( but I really got into the sound and feel :cool: (but not the price tag :eek: ) of the bass.

Many years later I was able to afford a used one. Now I own three :) . I bought them because I enjoy their sound and playability, but I might not have tried one all those years ago had I not been a Stanley fan.

Peace,

James

9. endorsements actually work well at getting me to try out a piece of gear, but i won't buy it unless it suits me very well. p-nut, for example, got me to try warwick basses (love them, but don't have enough money to buy one yet), SWR amps (love them, have one) and GHS strings (tried a set, HATED them).

conversely, the only famous musician i know that plays a reverend is kid rock, and he's not even a bass player. yet that's what i chose.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sure, people buy gear based on endorsements.

That said: my first 5-string was a Fender Roscoe Beck Signature V, but that had nothing to do with Mr. Beck, I just think it's a great bass. Also, some people won't touch a signature bass, no matter how good it is... because they're afraid of getting pigeonholed, I guess. Case in point is the new Sting Precision bass by Fender. I know a few bassists who love the bass but refuse to buy one because of the inlay at the 12th fret. Go figure.

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, when I was younger, I used Labella flats because that's what Jack Bruce used. I think you find that once you've discovered a sound, or a style, you try to copy it as best you can to a degree. I got my Thunderbird (and eventually the Epiphone Embassy) because I absolutely loved what Martin Turner got from his. As time goes on, you learn to evaluate things on a different level. Although, I did pick up some SIT strings from Herm because....well....Jack Bruce uses them!

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Ok, this may bore some, but at least you can appreciate that it is a true story, 100%.
    I was a Yes fanatic for a period. ( still love the band) so my first "pro" bass was a Rickenbacker 4001 - i was thrilled!!! then Stanley came along, with that Alembic.. the slap sound on a Rick is for crap - at least i think, dont kill me, but a friend had a wood shop and and they were carefree times and the grass was green.. and we embarked on a transformation.. this was going to be the first Alembacker , or was it Rickenbick ? whatever it was, now had the rough shape of an Alembic , or so i thought, but now the sound was REALLY ruined!! however, i managed to play the bass on a cruise ship gig for years and when i bought an early Kramer ( with the Y headstock) i sold it to the bassist with the Italian Band. He messed with the truss rod once too many times and the neck on the ( neckthru) thing just gave up- that, the Frankestein treatment and the exposure to open ocean air .. it just quit.
    We had a burial at sea. it rests on the ocean floor somewhere between Key West and St Thomas. Honest. True story- first Chris, then Stanley.. one mutilated bass later.. Hell yeah, i was affected by endorsements!!!

13. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I endorse unendorsed instruments.

P.S. Damn nice licks on your web movie Adrian. Everyone should watch it.

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, it's obvious that SOME people do buy instruments based on endorsements, or at least because their hero played one. How many posts do you see in here where people want to know about a player's gear so they can try to cop his tone?

My first bass was an EB-3 copy because I was nuts about Jack Bruce. The second bass I bought was a Danelectro because a guy in a local blues band used one and I thought it sounded way cool. I still have it 25 years later...the EB-3 copy is long gone, sold to buy a zoom lens for my camera :p

15. No. Definitely not.

Even if I had the money, I think endorsed basses are well overpriced and I wouldn't buy just becuse it had some top player's name on it. Having said that, some such basses are awsome instruments. The Stu Hamm Fender comes to mind and is reckoned to in that league, but I've not had a go on one. There are, of course, others.

That's how I look at it, anyway.

John

16. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    An endorsement is a form of advertising. Some makers have a very limited dealer network. Lets take F bass. I never heard of them until I saw posts re how good they were. I went to the site and theres Alain Carron. Ok I and my wallet agree that we dont want a sig version but the honeyburst flame top BN5 looks scrummy and I want one. How many people got into F bass through Alain Carron? I bet some people did.

The one that cracks me up is where the only time you see the endorsee with the gear is on adverts

Sting and Ibanez?

17. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    heheh I don't buy a bass because of endorsements...when i went to buy a Rick, I was like omg thats the nicest bass I have ever played. My parents hadn't heard of it nor have I(I was new to bass at the time) and I did a little research and I found out guys like Paul and Geddy played it and my dad could relate to them...so it helped me sell it to my parents, even though it was my money, they weren't going to let me throw it away.

18. When I just bought my new bass, ( a schecter) I had barely ever heard of the company let that brand of bass. And I sure as hell did not buy that bass because of an endorsment by joe bass. It's almost like when people come on here and ask wich bass is better. PLAY THEM if you need someone to tell you what bass to play you should not be playing. Play what sounds good to you, not what people tell you to play;)

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sting played an Ibanez IIRC.

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've bought 4 basses in my life: A Peavey, Modulus, Spector, and Fender Jazz, in that order. I bought the Fender because I wanted the Fender sound. That's the only bass of the 4 that I've bought because I had a sound in mind when I bought it. When I bought my Spector and my Modulus (which I traded for the Spector), I'd never heard of either brand. It was nice buying something that EARNED my respect in MY hands, not my favorite player.

That said, I don't necessarily rule out basses that are endorsed by some of my favorite players. I just haven't found one that I liked when I had the money. If I'm in the market for a bass and one of my favorite players uses one, I'll certainly go check out that bass. If I like it more than others, I'll buy it. If not...;)