Do people like this frustrate you?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Shappo, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Shappo

Shappo

Apr 28, 2010
    Australia
    Hello fellow bass players :D

I find it really frustrating when certain people who have very limited skill and knowledge about the bass in general, start to about how excellent their gear is when they have absolutely no idea how to use it.

Check this guy out (Just an example):

He seems to be one of those guy's who didn't grow up from playing easy songs that consist of doodling around on 4 notes.. The way he talks about himself and how others praise him as if he is a bass god on his youtube channel really disappoints me.

Do you guy's feel the same about other people like this guy? Not meaning to offend anyone but it just seems selfish to not explore any other music genres on the bass guitar rather than this childish phrase. Just the fact that some bass players like this guy are more concerned how their hair looks during a gig rather than what notes their playing on their instrument.

I don't know what this world is coming to! but I hope you all can relate to this.

*Edit: All this is coming from my perspective since I am younger than this guy (18). People like him gain lots of reputation and popularity for hardly even exploring the nature of the bass guitar. I know that I shouldn't really care for this guy much, but if your in my shoes with no-way possible to purchase expensive amps like him and having this guy to claim that he's famous due to the internet. It is really frustrating hah!

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    The video you linked to, didn't have him playing anything, so I can't judge his playing. As for his gear bragging, I could care less. His 'big gun stuff' is decent enough, yet average. Any competent to pro level player could use his rig and get good results, so I'll give him that. Sorry, but I'm a very jaded old fart bass player, who is more amused than annoyed by young bucks such as him. Also it's not like most of us here at TB, myself included, haven't talked up, or about, our own gear here at times. He's amusing to me, and I'll leave it at that.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Why do you care?

4. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    A: no.

5. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    The video you linked to was particularly annoying for sure, but luckily he wasn't trying to demo anything. He's just playing around with a video camera learning how hard it is to actually make an informative video. We were all dumb and 16 once.

My biggest peeve is videos where someone is demo'ing a fuzz pedal or a head, and they simply cannot play to save their lives. It's really, REALLY frustrating to see someone play a sought after head or pedal and feebly play a few confused riffs with a pick, into a laptop.

(Often a guitar player is demoing a bass head... I can't stand that.)

6. This is what happens when confidence far exceeds intellectual ability.

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Nah, I love 'em. He may be a good player (how would I know). But most often these kids get mom and dad to buy them lots of gear, which then goes up for sale ("need money for college/rent/420") and I get a good deal on nearly new equipment. We need more like him! ;)

8. I fail to see the harm in it. :confused:

So he's trying to talk about basses and gear from the small start-up package up to a stage set up. And...??

Good lord, if I let things like that video bother me I'd never leave the house. Seriously, I don't get why you care or why it bothered you.

Gear envy maybe? :eyebrow:

9. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    LIfe is short. Why let THAT bother you??

10. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    Minnesota
    The more people enthusiastic about music and music gear the better, I say. Even if it's a little misguided.

11. ive seen that video and i wanted to punch him afterwards

12. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I am not old (at least I don't think I am ...) and I don't fart ... hehe :smug: But I too am more amused rather than annoyed ...

I hope that guy on YT is just having a bit of fun making the video. If he is being serious, then I do sympathize with ppl that had to hang around with him.

13. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    this video doesn't frustrate me but i realized i have the same bass with the same strings and same cab it makes me want to get new gear i did not know i had all the required pop band equipment :(
    btw here he is jamming http://www.youtube.com/user/dew1403#p/a/u/1/QqPU2x3tDlM

14. FSSmikey

FSSmikey

Mar 7, 2009
    Miami FL
    i'm mediocre at best. and my bass gear is pretty much entry level bottom of the barrel stuff.

but this really doesnt bother me.

i dont care much for that pop punk stuff though...

15. pandaman37

pandaman37 Inactive

Sep 17, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    hes pretty annoying, but hes not terrible. i mean, the genre he plays (i absolutely abhor simple punk lines) isnt really demanding, but hey, maybe hes actually alright.
    i do know what you mean, people who dont play enough to be worthy of equipment. like..... people who dont actually love playing music, kinda just do it for whatever, i get kindofa 'hey, yeah everyone, i play bass, im super cool' vibe from this guy what with his playing stance and minimal skill.... but im rambling. cant judge him, cant hate him for it, life goes on...
    EDIT: what would i give for an american standard P bass? i wonder if some ebay auctioneer will accept testicles....

16. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    +1

It's his gear and if he want's to show it off, that's his deal.

17. I have absolutely no interest in watching that video. Can't say he frustrates me but that seems like 10 minutes of boring person talking about gear I don't care about. Meh. No issue.

18. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    It's almost like Spinal Tap only different.

19. Shappo

Shappo

Apr 28, 2010
    Australia
    Lol!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021