1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do Pickup Covers Reduce Single Coil Hum?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ADWolpert, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ADWolpert

ADWolpert

Mar 12, 2008
    Like most people who play Jazz Basses (I've got a '62 Reissue), I took those cumbersome metal pickup covers off a long time ago. But would putting them back on help reduce single coil hum? I've got those covers stored in the case somewhere hard to reach, so before I dig them up, I'd love to know if you guys think it's worth doing.

TIA

Alan

2. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    I can't say for certain if there would be a noticeable reduction in hum, but there would certainly be some reduced playability.

Some folks can work around the jazz covers, but I can't seem to (even on my ric).

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I don't think they do anything for hum, but they sure do look cool.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yes, this is basically it! Personally I leave the "ashtray" on just for looks but take the other pickup cover off because it really gets in my way when I play even though it does look cool.

The covers DO change the pickup tone slightly, but nothing huge. And also the covers are MUCH too thin to really shield any single coil hum. They'd have to be MUCH thicker to act as a magnetic shield. So they are basically for looks.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Now that being said... I love my P-Bass with the pickup cover on but if I had a J-Bass I don't think I'd leave both the bridge cover and the pickup cover on. That configuration really limits what you can do technique-wise. I'd lose the bridge cover and keep the top one a la Marcus Miller.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    short answer? not even a little.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021