Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do resonant drum heads need to be changed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by No Profile, Feb 7, 2006.

1. No Profile

No Profile

Oct 22, 2005
    we are going into the studio within the next couple of weeks, and our drummer has already bought a brand new set of batter heads, which has cost him nearly £80. he bought the resoant heads about 9 months ago, is there any need to replace them now or even never again. i only ask so we dont have to take out another £80 from our recording budget.
    cheers

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    No, I don't think that should be nessecary. I know many drummers who have never changed the drum heads on the "other" side - a friend of mine still has the original Premier heads that came with his kit when he bought it - over 15 years ago - and he plays regularly.
    The only two reasons for changing the resonant heads would be either because it is broken, or because you want a different sound.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    No, they're not even close to being cashed. If you dent one then you should change it, which means you'll have to change all to more closely match tone & sustain. Don't sweat it mate.

4. You should always enter the studio with brand spankers on the batter heads.

A simple tuning of the resonants will do fine.

good luck

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I am a drummer. Resonant heads should be replaced every so often because they go "dead"

This all depends on how hard you hit and how long you've had them, as well as what type of heads they are and if theyve been dented or something. I have one friend who's been playing for 15 years and his rule of thumb is change them every other time you change your batter heads. For me, I would change them even less often. But it's still good to get fresh ones every once in a while... Ive used Evans genera resonant in the past and now Im using Remo clear ambassadors.