1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do Rick 4003 walnut basses have any finish on the bodies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheOriginalName, Nov 21, 2018.

1. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    Hey talkbass. Was looking st some ricks, specifically the walnut rickenbackers. Do these instruments have any finish on the walnut, or is it completely natural? In other words, is my eyesight okay or is it bad?

2. Ukko

Ukko

May 28, 2007
    They have a clear satin finish.

Dabndug and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    If by satin you mean a sprayed on satin finish, no. The wood does appear to have been sealed with tung oil or similar product however.

woodyng2 likes this.
  4. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    Ah, okay. Thanks mate.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Your eyesight is bad. ;) There is a finish, but not a glossy or typical satin finish.

6. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I was wanting one myself, there were no price breaks on any walnut ricks $1900 and up, ended up going for the FireGlo on sale for $1300, but dammmnnnnn those walnut ones are pretty.

godofthunder59 and BlueMINI like this.
  7. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    I know. I really like walnut on ricks, and it’s like, a really bad liking. Like, I want to make a custom walnut bass, but the problem is that will only be, like, a p bass, and I don’t think that’ll look right. On top of that a walnut o bass would be a boat anchor, but I don’t think a walnut top on swamp ash would look great either.

8. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    woodyng2 and Tony In Philly like this.
  9. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Is there a single professionally-made bass in the world that doesn't have some sort of finish on the wood? I've never seen one.

gebass6 likes this.
  10. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    From the rickenbacker manual:
    Oil Finish Maintenance
    Beyond routine cleaning, the best way to maintain a hand rubbed oil finish (as seen with the Ricken- backer W Series
    http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/manual.pdf

woodyng2 and hotrodjohn like this.
  11. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Nope. Out in the real world of weather, hand grease and beer spray, a truly bare wood bass would quickly swell up, warp, crack and even split. Within weeks or months.

Basses that appear to be unfinished are always coated with a penetrating sealer of some kind. A builder/manufacturer would be nuts to send out an instrument without a sealer coat. It's often referred to as "oil", but it isn't really just oil. It's a thin oil-based finish mix that soaks down into the pores of the wood and hardens. It's a permanent block against moisture soaking down into the wood. Not much of it remains on the surface, so the wood may look bare, but it isn't.

pudge and gebass6 like this.
  12. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    The finish on the walnut exists.

13. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Rick, Alembic and many others that offer “oil finishes” use Watco Danish oil. There are lots of other oil-type finishes out there but Danish Oil is the least “filmy” and more like raw wood. I’ve taken Danish oil finishes through “the mud, the blood and the beer” of countless bars.
    About once a year I just take the strings off and clean all the wood w pure lemon oil, put on a quick refresher of Danish and it’s dry and like new in a half hour. One of the things I like is that I pick up a scratch that bugs me I can sand it out and refinish w Danish oil super easily, with no issues blending the repair with the existing finish.
    I love gloss finishes too, but there’s nothing to fear if you like the look and feel of oil.

Gilmourisgod and mikewalker like this.
  14. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    My friend and master woodworker showed me the method of french polish. It does bring out the grain in a subtle way, but I can see how from a photo someone might think it's unfinished.

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It doesn't have to be an oil finish to look "unfinished". I have basses that I finished in satin poly where the grain is still there - it looks unfinished, in that the surface profile is like that of unfinished wood, but yes, they are sealed, and the color is definitely darker than the raw wood would be. It's an easier finish to do well than gloss.

16. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I got a 4003 SW from Wildwood this week for $1300. It looks like they sold the other one too. You are right though..... damnmmmnnnn pretty. Plays just as nice as it looks too!

woodyng2 and Gilmourisgod like this.
  17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Do Rick 4003 walnut basses have any finish on the bodies?

OIL FINISH

hotrodjohn likes this.
  18. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    The oil finish is easy to touch up and it brings out a nice woody tone

hotrodjohn likes this.
  19. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    With the oil finish ricks I like to coat the maple fretboard with poly or laqueur or shellac

hotrodjohn likes this.
  20. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    On sale for $1,300 where?