Do road cases affect tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by modflea, Jun 7, 2004.

1. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm looking into an Ampeg SVT 810 and I'm debating whether to get a cover or put it in a road case. If it stays in the case while playing does it change the tone any?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Only if you leave the front cover on . . . .
  3. I find the 8-rackspace roadcase I have my 4-rack Mesa in (with a 3-rack storage boxthing) actually DOES affect my sound.

Not tone, but sound, you will notice a few things, like the latches and handles will sometimes rattle when you play loud or low stuff a lot.

btw, you may find that you can use the front of your roadcase as a make-shift pedal poard :smug:
  4. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    If you're doing anything besides heavy touring, I'd reccoment tuki covers. Hard cases are SUPER heavy once you get svt sized. The fridge has wheels, and a dolly bar, why not use them. The tuki covers work great for just going around town. Heck, I had mine packed under a bus on it's side, and went over a bumpy highway and went from here (central FL) to North Carolina without anything bad happening at all. The bags are water proof too. We went through a thunderstorm last night, and my cab was in the back of a truck. When I opened it up, it was still perfectly dry. But if you're taking it on planes and what not, the cover won't help when an illegal imigrant hired at an airport stabs your cab with a fork lift :).
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    An SVT cab in a road case is going to weigh well over 200 pounds :eek:
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I think Gut Implosion makes an excellent point. If you are going to use a road case or ANY rack for that matter, make certain that the latches are on the LIDS and not on the box itself, so there is nothing to rattle and annoy you when you play.
  7. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    For an SVT 810?? More like a surfboard! ;)

I think I have decided on a cover instead of a rack case. The 165lbs for the cabinet is enough weight for me to be pushing around, much less 200+ with a case. And it's not like I would leave it in the band trailer or anything like that. My rig goes home with me all the time.

Thanks for all the input!!
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You might notice slightly less low end from a decreased coupling affect between the speakers and the floor.

Key words: MIGHT, SLIGHTLY

9. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    But then it might also sound tighter due to reduced coupling with the floor and less cabinet resonance.
  10. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003

It might just be too small for Claypool though ;)