1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do Schroeder & BBE work together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottbass, Mar 25, 2006.

1. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    In this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238114

pablomigraine says that he had bad luck using a BBE bmax-t preamp with a Schroeder cabinet. How many of you have had that same experience?

I am planning on using a BBE bmax-t with a Schroeder 21012...is this a mistake? I play in 2 bands: a classic rock band (Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, Pink Floyd, some Stones, Kinks, etc.), a blues rock band (Walter Trout, Corey Stevens, Susan Tedeschi). I mostly play a pre-EB stingray and an OLP stingray clone that has been upgraded with Seymour Duncan pickup & preamp. The sound I want is, well, classic rock and blues-based rock. Not particularly hifi, but well-defined and a lot of thump.

The Carvin head I'm using now has a tube and a compressor in the preamp, and I like both of those features. I figured the bmax-t would give me more of the same, add that nice BBE sonic maximizer and let me use about 1200 watts of power amp. I'm not a bedroom player or a prolific "recording project" kind of guy...I gig! I wanted a cab that would sit in the mix well and have that great thump. Hence the Schroeder.

Do you use a BBE preamp with a Schroeder cab? Do you know someone who does? How does it sound?

Thanks, TB'ers

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I had a bmax ss, paired with a qsc/plx 1202. Used it with both my Schro 1210 and 410. While I did not care for the bmax, it worked well enough. Just not my cup of tea. I play double bass and electric at most of my jobs, and the bmax kinda bites for DB. But for slab, it works fine if that's your flavor.

3. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    bump

4. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I used a Bmax SS with a QSC PLX1602 and Schroeder 410 and never liked it. I don't know if it was the Bmax + Schroder combo, or just the fact the the Bmax wasn't for me......many people love the Bmax. I just couldn't get a sound I was happy with. But I was happy with the sounds I got using a Carvin B1500 (my absolute fav), GK 800RB, and SVT4. I don't think it is a mistake to pair the two up, just try it out if you can before you commit to make sure you can get what you need out of it......as always.

5. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    To clarify, I think it was the Bmax at fault, not the combination of it with certain cabinets. There are many Bmax users who love them, I just could never get a sound I really really like. There was the certain frequency range you just couldnt dial out at all and it was really unpleasant onstage, though not so much in rehearsal. Let me see if I can explain. First off, this isnt what you'd call a super hi-fi preamp. It had the tube warmth you'd expect it to, but it was a furry kinda feel you know, led to a feeling like you've lost definition somewhere. Not a good thing. As far as the evil frequency as my one guitarist put it, the rig would sound fine in rehearsal, although a bit undefined as I said ( sort of akin to the Ampeg Mud you hear people referring to all the time ), but onstage you would just get this super ugly low-mid BLAAAAARRRRGGGH boat-horn type of overtone to the notes.... you know how lotsa fingerstyle players say the want a low-mid bump in order to cut thru? Imagine that but really loud and really bad sounding... to where your guitarists cant hear themselves and you just end up sounding like BLOOOOOH BLOOOOH BLAAAAAHHH BLLOOOH.... I couldnt get rid of it, and got really tired of having my faster runs degenerate into mud.... so I ditched it.

Additionally, using the sonic maximizer to liberally can fry out your horn. ( it gives this huge spike at around 15khz ). I was never really fond of the compressor either, it worked more like a limiter, not like the good DBX or Empirical Labs type compression....

I was much happier when I switched. Ever thought of trying the Ashdown Pre?

6. I'm happy to say, that this weekend I used my BMax (solid state)
    along with my brand new Schroeder 1210Light.
    It sounded great onstage, but what was really nice was, when I
    went out into the audience to sing a motown medley my lead
    guitar player was playing my bass and it was clear, tight, and focused.

I also go out on the dance floor for a couple of tunes, so I got to
    hear myself play through it from the audience perspective.
    Of course, I was also going through the PA. So I guess it's not
    TOTALLY an objective experience. But my impression was definitely positive.

7. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    One more bump. Anyone else with first-hand or second-hand experience running a BBE preamp through a Schroeder cab? How did it sound?

Thanks for your input.