1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do Scrolls Look Stupid on EUBs?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by TheSuzie, Jun 20, 2007.

1. What do you think about this? I am of two minds. What about big old peg tuners...? Let me know what you guys think.

edited to say I was talking about full size DB type scrolls and peg boxes like when you start with a DB neck and build an EUB...

Thanks,
    S

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No, but they do defeat the portability aspect of an EUB.

3. Yes, this is something I also have some concerns about. The person who wants to build this would give me the option of a removable neck which would help for long distance travel but not do much for everyday use. Sigh

S

4. It also depends on the rest of the design, so the scroll doesn't look odd.
    Weber's Vodnyzky (spelling?) EUB looks great with its regular scroll.

[​IMG]

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Brisbane, Australia
    I prefer Ned Steinberger's approach (on BG as well as EUB) where form is dictated by function rather than tradition.
    And I like a more compact instrument.

Regarding tuners, I don't care much what they look like, but I've found the smaller post diameter some BG's & EUBs are using can break the thick strings. The traditional Fender size ones are OK.

6. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Lake Forest, CA
    I like the looks of the simplified scroll on the Palatino VE500, I don't think it detracts any of the portability of it.

7. ao'connor17

ao'connor17

Feb 12, 2007
    Tivoli, NY
    im not fond of EUB's. they're kinda cool, but i prefer the real deal. especially with the bass/cello, the only perk is you can get cheaper strings

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Scrolls never look silly on anything. That would be like saying classic cars could have fins that are too big. I just don't see how it's possible, personally.

Of course, being a big fan of Ned Steinberger, the box look isn't bad on those NS design puppies, either.

9. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Lake Forest, CA
    My strings still cost me a good $150 for a set . . .

10. I would prefer a DB too but I have been forced to sell both of mine. One just sold on Tuesday. My living situation and health are not stable enough to deal with a DB right now. I'm not sure I can even handle having an EUB. Another plus to many EUBs is that with the shorter tailpieces and/or afterlengths it is possible to play sitting in a lower chair than with a standard DB. Still dont think I want something that looks like a stick with a big scroll...

Peace,
    S

11. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :confused: I'm not sure what the point of that post was. [​IMG]

On topic, I think a scroll would look out of place on a "stick" type EUB, but OTOH my BSX Allegro would have looked perfect with a scroll instead of the "rounded box" headstock it has.

12. jamiefoxer

jamiefoxer

Dec 2, 2005
    I think the scrolls give EUB's a sense of old-style classyness. I'm one of those people who does not like "cricket-stick" style upright basses. I'm fond of the Ampeg Baby Bass look, and own a Palatino VE-500. I've received many compliments about my Palatino bass (even from other bassists), and it's just sexy.

Regarding portability, I go to gigs easy by laying my Palatino VE-500 (with 40.25 inch neck and Ampeg-like body length) on the passenger seat, with the seat down touching the back seat, and my Ampeg 220 watt amplifier in the back seat behind the driver on my 1999 Honda Civic Coupe. If I can fit all of my bass-related equipment in a Honda Civic, it's portable folks.

If you want no scroll or even more portability, consider getting an electric bass.

13. Relative portability sometimes depends on if you use the subway or have to sleep in the car with the bass. Sometimes it depends on an individual's physical abilities.

Getting back to the looks thing - I think too big a scroll on too small a bass appears to make the statement "I just killed that double bass and stuck its' head on my pike."

Maybe I should put that in my sig ;)

Peace,
    S

14. I think scrolls look nice. Even though it does not really matter, about the only thing I don't like about Ergos is the BG headstock.
    A real double bass fingerboard and bridge will make it play more like a double bass. You can also just put any pick-up on the market on it.
    And FYI. EUBs use normal bass strings.

15. I like on the scrolls on some EUBs. The Eminence bass looks just fine with a scroll. And it's still very portable.

16. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    personally I appreciate a more functional/streamlined look on whats basically a neck. The Kydd and NS design seems so pure.

While Im an EUB newbie, in my opinion an ornate scroll on an EUB is like wearing a ten gallon cowboy hat with a speedo. For some people it works really well--but for me it aint too pretty;)

17. I'm with you Jamie. I think the scroll is one of the sophisticated distinguishing differences between URB's in general and EB's. I think the scroll on an EUB gives the instrument-challenged audience a better idea of what instrument the EUB is supposed to represent. The cricket-stick style appearance make it difficult to characterize what family of instruments they are even coming from.

18. Dr H

Dr H

Aug 30, 2010
    England, UK
    I'm old school - wouldn't be without my scroll/conventional tuners...

IMG_8889.jpg

lowfreqgeek likes this.
  19. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I think a scroll would look good on an EUB depending on the style of the EUB. I own a Harley-Benton EUB (Palatino in the U.S.)
    which already has a scroll on top of the peg box, and has a shape reminiscent of an UB, just much skinnier. I've even considered
    buying a set of volutes and attaching them to the peg box.
    I'm not sure if I'd like a scroll on the stick type EUB's, though.

IMG_9085a.jpg volutes3.jpg Picture1.jpg

20. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    yes

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021