1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do Skinny Musicians have More Cred than Beefier One's???

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    The **** is up with all these body related threads lately?

2. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Anthony Jackson is one big dude, and a mean mutha of a six-string monster -

Anyone who believes he has less "cred" because of his size isn't someone whose opinion matters.

3. ..."starving musicians" mean anything to you? I know guys that will get skinny on tour and then come home and eat normally.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    This thread is making me hungry.

5. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    "Skinny musician" is just another stereotype that should be ignored.
    I don't like carrots, so how about some broccoli? :rolleyes:

6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    A good friend of mine, and he is also a bass player, and I both graduated from high school the same year (1974). I was a skinny as a rail kid and he was about 6'5" and huge. 36 years later today, I am average size and he is a really big guy. Both of us have been highly regarded people and bass players and never been out of band work. So, I would not say it has anything to do with talent or anything else.

By the way, there is no such word as "prolly" the word is probably. ;)

7. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Do you really want to compare bass playing to grooving as is pertains to mofoing?

To the OP, carrots. Some big, some small; who gives a ****? It's like a degree in philosophy: it just doesn't matter.

8. I'm a working bassist in Nashville. I've heard of a couple great players get passed over because of image. It shouldn't
    matter, but it happens.

I think when you get to the level of Anthony Jackson, Jaun Harper, etc... You get a waiver. :)

9. Pillgrimm13

Pillgrimm13

Sep 29, 2009
    queensbury ny
    i think it has alot to do with the style of music like glam rock and black metal generally have skinny musicians and get bashed for gaining weight but in blues and jazz it can be a good thing to be overweight. i think people in general are too obsessed with other peoples weight. i personally am fat and happy and dont care what others think as long as they keep their opinions to themsevles.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I like pizza! Now, guess my answer ... :D

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Everyone knows BB King has no cred whatsoever.

12. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Didn't Mingus battle obesity his whole life?

13. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    New year's resolutions to lose fat and bassists wondering if losing that fat would make people finally appreciate their complex solos!

14. My extra 30 pounds enhances sustain.

15. bass_lord_mutha

bass_lord_mutha Gold Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Odessa, TX
    [​IMG]

16. Floridabass29

Floridabass29 Guest

Aug 18, 2010
    Polk County, Florida
    Whats carrots? (possible dumb question)

17. Carrots are vegetables of terrific importance.

18. bass_lord_mutha

bass_lord_mutha Gold Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Odessa, TX
    They are also questions of little importance :D

19. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    YES! My advice is to lose as much weight as you can. Preferably get your BMI under 18.5. Forget practicing and concentrate on losing weight. It will be very tough but once the endorphins kick in it will not be so bad. Also consider not drinking any water. Water is just empty calories. Don't drink or eat for weeks. Also sleeping is bad. Try to stay awake as long as you can. Bathing is also unnecessary. If cavemen did without daily showering so can you. Clothing is also unnatural. If you live in a cold climate try to just tough it out. Turn down your thermostat or better yet just turn off the furnace and open the windows. I guarantee that if you follow these few simple steps you will dramatically improve your bass playing.