1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do "soft rock" bands still exist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, May 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I grew up in the 80's listening to soft rock bands of the 70's. (Bread, Leo Sayer, Seals and Crofts, etc)

But right now I'm wondering, are there any new soft rock bands, or were they just part of a brief period in music history? What is the difference between soft rock and pop? I used to have a more clear idea of what it was, but you just don't hear the term much anymore.

What do you think?

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

‘Soft Rock’ is an oxymoron, a contradiction in terms.

Atshen likes this.
  3. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    You mean like this?

Or. ...softer?

4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

If “he’s always at it”, probably not soft. I do remember James Taylor once singing “coma, coma, coma, coma, coma, come come”.

Snaxster likes this.
  5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

"Pop" is pretty much whatever's popular. There's not much of a musical definition to it, more of a marketing/social term. A lot of pop songs since the 50s or 60s have been "soft" or "light" rock.

For modern groups, the one that comes immediately to mind is Lake Street Dive. I guess the thing is that a lot of what I would think of might rather be characterized as some form of soul or R&B. St. Paul and the Broken Bones? Lianne La Havas? Probably others like that.

dan1952 and mbasile like this.
  6. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    But you know what "pop" means though when someone in this forum uses it. It has clear meaning to people.
    You know what pop-rock means, don't you? Yet in your definition Led Zeppelin and Metallica would be pop-rock bands.
    Would you use pop or country to describe the music of Hank Williams?

7. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    It seems like "hard rock" is still being used.

8. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    Like this!

9. I think "soft rock" is now "Yacht Rock."

For Christmas my youngest daughter bought her and me tickets to a tour of "Yacht Rock." Turns out that those tours are now a thing.

It was actually a first rate concert, full of the kind of music you loved in the 70's, 80's and on, but wouldn't admit it to your friends. Stuff like Christopher Cross, Seals & Crofts, Arthur's Theme (caught between the Moon & New York City...) Doobies, lots more.

And the band was incredible at covering the tunes well. The killer of the evening was "Baker Street", with a sax player who could blow you off your chair. He smoked that tune and got a standing O for it.

Wkikpedea even defines it: Yacht rock (originally known as the West Coast Sound[2] or adult-oriented rock[3]) is a broad music style and aesthetic[4] identified with soft rock

Yacht rock - Wikipedia

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  10. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    The term "soft rock" may be dead, but the genre is still there and the songs are frequently found on the top 40 charts and played on pop radio stations. Ed Sheeran comes to mind.

Jhengsman likes this.
  11. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I am aware of Yacht Rock, and yes I see the comparisons.

I guess I'm just nostalgic. In my youth I would hear soft rock and it assumed it would always be around. Whether I liked it or not there would always be bands playing it. It's sad to think it may have just been a passing trend.

12. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Yes! I am in one!

13. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I nominate the Dave Mathews Band.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  14. War on drugs
    Los colognes

15. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    *shudder*

That's acoustic guitar band. I don't hear anything remotely resembling rocks, no matter what density.

48thStreetCustom and ElectroVibe like this.
  16. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Yes soft rock bands do exist. Don't make me go all Barry Manilow on you!

17. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I think a lot of modern country music has taken over the "soft rock" genre. If you don't mind a lot of pedal steel and fiddle, modern country is the place.

18. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I define it as rock musicians playing a softer song with their same rock instruments. Bread is the best example. That's the only style they played, or at least the only style they recorded. Or maybe Carole King. It's like the songs themselves are a certain genre. Like even if they were played on just an acoustic instrument they would still have a mild rock feel.

19. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    Manahoe?

20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    My favorite thing about soft rock bands is that it's a gentle groove with real drums, bass and guitar tearing it up much of the time.

Proper soft rock is excellent!

ElectroVibe and loveandbass like this.