1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do solid state amps play better with effects than tubes?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    What do you think?

AJ

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Not really a yes or no question.

In a general sense I've felt like dirt (OD/distortion/fuzz) often sounds better through a tube amp and modulation sounds better (or at least more clear) through SS.

But again, those are sweeping generalizations. Depends on the amp, and depends on the pedals. And above all else, it depends on what sounds good to you.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Good amps sound better with effects than bad amps... generally... too me at least. I find some people's good amps sound similar to my bad amps and I know my good amps sound worse to some other people than their bad amps.

FWIW: I ditched my big tube head for a kinda light solid state head after I caught the stomp box bug.

4. What he said.

>Protip: use SansAmp-type bassdriver thing after any dirt. It helps, sometimes.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    or you could just get better dirt :p

6. :D

i could get a better bass driver. my BDI21 sucks my tone so bad.

7. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    the hiwatt custom 100 i had was great with effects. but then again so is the 400rb that i use now. meh.

8. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    it depends on the person

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I have over 55 effects and I only own tube amps. If you like the sound of your bass through your amp then you should like the sound of the pedals you like through a amp you like. a good tube amp is just as clear a good SS amp.

10. shinobi

shinobi

Nov 24, 2007
    Aichi, Japan
    in general, if i were to run a heavily effected signal, i would want a full representation of the effects and not have anything else colour it. to me, SS amps do that because they are 'cleaner'. tube amps colour the tone, albeit desirably. ever wonder why you can use a tube sim on an SS amp, but there is no SS sim for a tube amp? that's all subjective though :)

11. darkgloryknight

darkgloryknight

Jan 9, 2009
    i like tubes better but it all depends on your personal opinion. i suggest taking your pedal board to the guitar shop an test it out on tubes and ss amps

12. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    The correct one word answer to the question is No.

Specific amps / effects / basses all play differently. Each persons ears guide them in a unique way.

13. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Not as much of a question of "Do solid state amps play better with effects than tubes?" A good amp should be able to handle any normal effect you throw at it.

The real question is "What sound do you want?"

Try lots of amps until you find the amp that delievers the sound you want with your bass and effects.