Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do speaker drivers just.. die?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dumoti, Nov 6, 2002.

1. dumoti

dumoti

Oct 12, 2002
    Flatlands, KS
    I've been fighting with my Gallien Krueger Backline 1x15 for quite some time. I recently sent the amp head in to GK to be repaired ($40 shipping.. yikes!). I got it back today, and when I hooked it up, nothing came out of the speaker. Not even a hiss or initial "click" from the power reaching it. This made me curious, because I had assumed that since the driver didn't appear damaged (no tears; the voice coils look fine) the problem HAD to be the amp. This is why I sent it in (and, just for the sake of more info, the only thing the GK tech did was replace the Low-Mid pot).

Well, today I did what I should have done before I sent the amp in; I hooked the amp up to one of my stereo speakers, and it worked just fine! Then I did some more testing. I hooked the GK speaker to my home stereo, and I got nothing. Not even a hiss. So here's my question -- is it possible for speaker drivers to simply die? I didn't think it was. But now I think back to the day my GK combo suddenly stopped working.. and I wonder..

Any thoughts?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    loose wire? bad jack?

3. yeah this has happened to me with 2 of my home stereo speakers, they are a 1 15 with 2 horns...one day it was all good, then the next time i went to play music though it on one cab both horns had died....then the other day i went to listen to music and one 15 is dead and the other one is dying...
    my thoughts are maybe when i am cranking music though the speakers, the coils get hot, and then as they cool (after i turn everything off) the coils go open circuit??? but i dunno

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

!5" speakers on a home stereo!!! :eek: I'm glad I don't live next door to you!! ;)

Actually I think that 15s would probably sound horrible for anything but bass guitar - imagine listening to solo violin recordings on 15s ?

5. I once knew a guy that had a pr of Klipitch horns (sp?) horns in a single wide MOBILE HOME:eek:

6. http://www.jblpro.com/pages/general_faq.htm#What is "Signal%20Burn"?

This explains the difference between "Signal Burn" and "DC Burn" and what causes these conditions in a speaker.

See if the jack and wiring to the cone driver are intact. If it's ok, then this link may shed some light on the reason your speaker quit working.

:)

B

7. nah well they sound pretty good, as they have a tweeter horn, and a big midrange horn aswell. the 15 is in a sealed cab so it not a big loose boomy sound....that said they are pretty old, and i bought them at a trash and treasure for $30 with an amp that aus ($15 us)