do speaker drivers just.. die?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dumoti, Nov 6, 2002.

1. dumoti

dumoti

Oct 12, 2002
    Flatlands, KS
    I've been fighting with my Gallien Krueger Backline 1x15 for quite some time. I recently sent the amp head in to GK to be repaired ($40 shipping.. yikes!). I got it back today, and when I hooked it up, nothing came out of the speaker. Not even a hiss or initial "click" from the power reaching it. This made me curious, because I had assumed that since the driver didn't appear damaged (no tears; the voice coils look fine) the problem HAD to be the amp. This is why I sent it in (and, just for the sake of more info, the only thing the GK tech did was replace the Low-Mid pot).

Well, today I did what I should have done before I sent the amp in; I hooked the amp up to one of my stereo speakers, and it worked just fine! Then I did some more testing. I hooked the GK speaker to my home stereo, and I got nothing. Not even a hiss. So here's my question -- is it possible for speaker drivers to simply die? I didn't think it was. But now I think back to the day my GK combo suddenly stopped working.. and I wonder..

Any thoughts?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    loose wire? bad jack?

3. yeah this has happened to me with 2 of my home stereo speakers, they are a 1 15 with 2 horns...one day it was all good, then the next time i went to play music though it on one cab both horns had died....then the other day i went to listen to music and one 15 is dead and the other one is dying...
    my thoughts are maybe when i am cranking music though the speakers, the coils get hot, and then as they cool (after i turn everything off) the coils go open circuit??? but i dunno

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

!5" speakers on a home stereo!!! :eek: I'm glad I don't live next door to you!! ;)

Actually I think that 15s would probably sound horrible for anything but bass guitar - imagine listening to solo violin recordings on 15s ?

5. I once knew a guy that had a pr of Klipitch horns (sp?) horns in a single wide MOBILE HOME:eek:

6. http://www.jblpro.com/pages/general_faq.htm#What is "Signal%20Burn"?

This explains the difference between "Signal Burn" and "DC Burn" and what causes these conditions in a speaker.

See if the jack and wiring to the cone driver are intact. If it's ok, then this link may shed some light on the reason your speaker quit working.

:)

B

7. nah well they sound pretty good, as they have a tweeter horn, and a big midrange horn aswell. the 15 is in a sealed cab so it not a big loose boomy sound....that said they are pretty old, and i bought them at a trash and treasure for $30 with an amp that aus ($15 us)