Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do speaker manufacturers know what a B string is?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Nov 22, 2001.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    So I'm back from school on thanksgiving break. while back in Bland Crapids (read: Grand Rapids) i went looking for a new speaker cab. I play in a loud classic rock band, with a 5 string bass, and our PA is too small for bass. My cabs arent "crankable" enough for this setting. I called probably 6 diferent stores, and went to two. Btoh stores had be try out an ampeg BSE series stack, 410+115. sound was good, but still... not loud enough. one place also had me try out a workingman's 810 tower. no balls. absolutly nothing in the pants with any note below E. So heres my gripe/question: does anyone make a fairly affordable cabinet that is made with the 5 string player in mind? i have been on this quest for a long time now, and i just cant seem to find something for a decent price that would let me cut through and keep my foundation. Ive got 600 watts to play with in my head, ANYONE give me a reccomendation and your logic please. I know this is getting annoying, and i apologize, but there is nothing to be had around here. Thanks.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A good 4x10 will do the job well. Such as an Aguilar GS410 or an Eden D410XLT.

3. beachgeddy

beachgeddy

Jul 11, 2001
    Muskegon, MI
    I know there is not a whole lot to choose from in big GR. last time I was at RIT they had a nice mesa/boogie cab that was 115 and 410s arranged in one box. personally, I need to upgrade to something that can kick out the lows. I am seriously considering the Acme low-B4. these cabs are a whole different animal with their own unique set of advantages/disadvantages. you may want to check them out if you dont know about em yet.

www.acmebass.com

good luck

4. My Euphonic Audio cabs handle the Bstring well. My EA208 sounds better down low than my eden 210. I've been told the new EA 112 is even better. They are pricey but worth it. They are also more portable.

5. That is the Mesa Boogie Powerhouse, and the thing absolutely rocks, I played one with a 400+ head powering it, the key here is that it is not very affordable for the average bass player.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    im from the area too, muskegon actually, but why not get an 18 of some sort plus a 4x10?

SWR Goliath III 4x10
    SWR Big Ben 1x18

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    From this statement, it seems like it might not be a problem w/the equipment you're using/trying out. You might want to try to EQ your head alittle differently before you spend your hard earned cash on new equipment. What I try to do @ rehearsals it start w/all the EQ settings flat, try to get a good volume & during the 1st song or 2 adjust the EQ as needed. My B screams through.

Good luck.

8. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    About hom much does that meso/boogie Powerhouse cost?? I might be interested in one of those.
    thanks

travis

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i got the 2000 mesa pricelist, and it is something like $1200 for the desiel series and $1500 for the roadready series. ouchness to the max :(

10. god i hate Michigan, especially Kalamazoo

11. SRSiegel, I feel your pain. There's no bass guitar rig out there that faithfully reproduces the low B. The Acme cabs being one of the very few exceptions. The Edens I played (a 1x15 and a 4x10, can't remember which ones exactly) did NOT have low end whatsoever. When you drive them hard they will distort which makes it seem as if they do. Most speaker cabs have this "flaw" IMO.

I built my own cabs to achieve the bottom end I need. The 12" woofers are true subwoofers and the cabs have a pretty flat range from 28-20,000 Hz.

The Acmes must sound good from what I've heard, but your 600 watts may be too little to bring them to life. Some people put twice the watts into them.

12. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I just bought a 1x18 to compliment my 4x10. I lost a lot of power (but who needs it now that i'm in this acoustic emorock band) but when I use my Thumb 5 that B string is V E R Y well heard. Lots of bass also, lots of clarity. i love it. even when using it with my 4st fretless it sounds awesome. best deal i've gotten on a 1x18 son of bertha = $280 used. some scratches on the front grill but who cares, it works.

13. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Thanks for all the replies guys, keep em comin! Ive tried the 18 route. currently i play through a 210+18 stack. problem being that my R600 doesnt have the power necessary to push the 18 the way it should be. The mesa cab is defenitly way out of my reach, im a poor college student. Acme sounds interesting, although as Joris said i might not have the power i need, and that would just take me right back to square one. I dont mind the idea of building a cab Joris, I built my 18, and im fairly proud of the way it looks and sounds. I just need something more efficient i think. I have a few options, and Im trying to keep this as easy, and as economical (thats the important part) as possible. Do me a favor and let me know which you would do and why? thanks again, i really appreciate all the guidance im getting here.

1) new cab to be fed with 600 watts full range, ditch the 210+18 (the 210 is a carvin)

2) add a poweramp, (inexpensive, Carvin or QSC) say 1000-1500 watts, to properly drive the 18, put the 18 in a smaller box to handle the power better, screw 31 Hz.

3) Sell the whole rig (Carvin RC210, Eminence Omega Pro 18) and start over.

4) Quit whining because the laws of physics prevent us from being to reproduce a B string anyways.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :D :p

15. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yes. Sort of. If you want strong (read: high volume) fundamentals down to 31 Hz., physics makes it very difficult to do so on a modest budget. If you are $ constrained, I would recommend getting the sound you want down to low E and don't worry so much about going lower. Someday you'll be in a better position to explore infrasonics! Having an instrument that goes below 40 Hz. doesn't come without pitfalls. I play a 5-string, too, but because I don't go below low Eb or D very much and my big priority is having enough SPL without having to cart 800 lbs. of gear around, I went for an acceptable compromise: an Eden 2x15. Sure, it weakens a little below low E, but I'm willing to live with that.
    - Mike

16. beachgeddy

beachgeddy

Jul 11, 2001
    Muskegon, MI
    I'm gonna get one Acme B4, or two of the 2x10's, and drive it with a carvin 2000, or else QSC or Crown, those cabs seem like the best value for producing the low B on a constipated budget :D just hope theres not too much of a christmas rush cuz I need by January! when the new band is gonna bust on the muskegon scene like chris farley on a coffee table! hehe

17. Neither the RC210 nor the Omega Pro 18 are going to get you to 31 Hz. Neither is designed to go that low. Sorry... I've played both, and the playing confirms the specs: they just don't have it.

Get a new physics lawbook... :D ...because 31 Hz can be reproduced accurately by a wide variety of true subwoofers.

I almost never play my upper G string, but play on my B string constantly, and very often hit open low B for an accent. No problem. This is good for curing folks in the audience who are constipated.

18. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
  19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Sure, even my Peavey 210's get the B pretty well! If you really want good lows, the Acme stuff is killer, but be prepared to deal with the necessary power requirements.

Some other good choices are the Eden D-410XST (and the "more-than-a-rumor" soon to be in existance D-210XST - unless I run across a killer 212, a pair of these are in my future), the Eden XLT's are quite good as well, but not as "flat"; the EA cabs (all of 'em are good at lows, just a matter of how much air you need to move, and how deep your pocket is ;) ); the Aguilar GS112 does a good job, I'm really looking forward to hearing the GS 212 when it comes out in Janurary; the Epifani 310 has impressed me, again interested in hearing the 212 of theirs; Bergantino, same, the 210 and 310 are in stock at BC, so I've heard them, as is the 112, haven't heard the 212 but have heard it's pretty good.

All of these would do a good job down to ~30hz.

20. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Ampeg 4x10HLF is good, so I've heard...