Do speaker manufacturers know what a B string is?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Nov 22, 2001.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    bgavin, joris- either one of you guys know of a way to go to true subwoofers relatively inexpensively? i can and will build my own cabs if necessary. (i know not to save money, only if what i want doesnt exist)

yes, damn physics and the miniature capacity of my budget.

the 410HLF and the low B4 are interesting to me, though i dont know if my head will power the B4, and I am skeptical about the 410HLF. played through one, didnt have enough balls for me. though i think it was a bit underpowered. also heard about the peavey 412TVX, though no one around here has one i can play through. how much power would be ideal for a B4?

i guess if i cant afford true subs or a better cab/amp combo i will just have to make the best use of what i have and try to stay above low E flat as possible. *sigh*

2. beachgeddy

beachgeddy

Jul 11, 2001
    Muskegon, MI
    If I go with the acme I'm gonna look for a good used power amp of at least 1,000 watts. good lord that better be enough!

3. Unless you have a specific desire to bi-amp, and deal with all the associated hassle, why not ear-ball an Acme first? Either way, you are going to need a ballzy power amp for sure.

You are going to spend as much either way. The Acme site shows $480 as the price for their full range 2x10. You'll pay $175 to $500 each for top rated raw 10" sub drivers, then have to build and cover your cabinet, get electronic crossovers, etc. Then you'll have to find driver(s) to handle the highs, because the subs are all done at 100 Hz. Then build the cab for the highs. You have to REALLY want to do this... :D ... as there is a lot of work and setup involved.

The 2x10 has more internal volume per driver than the 4x10 does, so I'd think the 2x10 would have the edge on low bass response. The money is more for a pair of 2x10, but the flexibility is better also. If you stack the pair, you'll get the same mutual coupling that you'd get from the 4x10 box.

Give Andy Lewis a call at Acme and ask him outright. I've had long techie email chats with him, and he knows his stuff.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Would the Genz Benz XB2 series cabs be an option? I've heard good things about them but they're scarce in my area.

Genz Benz

5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going back to ann arbor today for the football game... Big Ten title on the line... U of M vs. OSU... anyways, theres a Guitar Center in Canton, and hopefully i can make a stop. I will conider all of your reccomendations, and let you know what i think when I'm through. Thanks for all your advice, past present and future.

Go Blue!!:cool:

6. jackson0321

jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    b strings suck

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    yo mama

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

So do narrow minded people.

9. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    agreed. see my sig.

10. know anyone who has one of those little hondas, (lowered, loud tailpipe, etc.) that you can hear / feel bass a half block away?

maybe they know something about deep bass...

ok, i'm thinking "outside of the box" so there :p

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Solution: Dont buy 5 stringers:eek:

12. beachgeddy

beachgeddy

Jul 11, 2001
    Muskegon, MI
    solution: buy a piano

13. jackson0321

jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    what is the reason for buying a 5 string bass beside that the fact imo is trendy and one day will not be.

14. TRENDY???? :rolleyes:

Hmm....Jimmy Johnson has played Alembic Series 1 five strings strung with low B's, fretted and fretless since '76. If it's a "trendy" thing, it's a trend that's been goin' on for nearly 30 years now. :p

Has anyone here said that you're stuck in the past because you only like 4's?? I don't think so. As a atter of fact, why'd you even post, you have no concept of whether or not there is a cabinet that will help SR out.

If you think the 5 will disappear anytime soon, you're delusional. I'm not foolish enough to think the 4 will. Each has it's place, and there are many players whom I respect and admire who are 4-stringers. I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from insulting my choice (and the overwhelming choice of bassists that call me at work to buy basses, not to mention most likely the majority of people here at TalkBass) of instrument in the future, thank you.

Sorry for the divergence off topic, but I just had to get that off my chest. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming! :D

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    would you please care to elaborate on why b strings suck? alot of us hear dont like posts that just say, oh this sucks, and not give a reason.
    Why do they suck? Im really curious to know, is it because you cant play one? Maybe you just dont get it? Lots of people hear and many professionals play a low b, so they must not suck that bad, the only thing that sucks is your narrow minded atitude. :D thank you have a nice day

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Jimmy Johnson coached the Cowboys man, he wasnt a bassist....sheesh :rolleyes: ;) :D

17. beachgeddy

beachgeddy

Jul 11, 2001
    Muskegon, MI
    That was a good point. (seriously)

(not seriously) I can foresee the day when the 3 string BEA tuning puts the 4 string out of business. And only the hardcore bass players will play a 4 string. :D

And don't give me that business about Jaco 'needing' his fourth string. :D

18. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    [There's no bass guitar rig out there that faithfully reproduces the low B.]

I'm as happy as a Pismo clam with mine. I didn't realize just how much playing the B string sucked until I got it.

19. jimmy johnson... is he the bassist for

"flim & the BB's"

:confused:

20. My Eden CX210 has very nice lows.
    I'm thinking of adding a CX1015 to it, to make the lows even better.

It's not just the cab, u know.. playing with your bass' EQ and amp's EQ do miracles.