Do speaker manufacturers know what a B string is?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Don't forget he also coached the Miami Dolphins!

Flim gets around don't he? One night a gig with Allan Holdsworth, next day a game in Miami, following day a gig with James Taylor, then drafting Jason Taylor then next. ;)

bimp, cass was just makin' a joke, which I went and took over the top for him!!! :)

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    the way i see it, music is written to be controvercial, and to stretch the limits of reality and what seems probable. look at any art form. usually art that is considered great is also considered to be "way ahead of its time" IMO music is the same, hence we are all trying to be innovators, and we are all making an attempt to stretch the limits of our own range of senses, our equipment, and our skills. examples of this would be the buttkicker shakers, for bass you feel not hear; six and seven string basses that test our ability, as well as our hearing range with a low F#; and the bag end subs that reproduce a flat spectrum of sound down to 8 Hz or so. What about slapping? dont tell me Leo fender designed the original P bass with that in mind. If we cant push the limits in our music with both our skills and our sound, then whats the point of playing?

and that is why i posted this question, not because B strings suck, but because I want a different sound than what I am used to, and I dont wanna be like every other bassist I have met who plays through a 410 cab. Im looking for somethign different, for something that will hit you with a wall of clean low frequency sound and scramble your guts well beyond the point of recognition. Am I dreaming? maybe at this point in time, but time itself is fleeting.

Forgive me if I am being arrogant, naive or short; but I started playing bass to be different, because no one else did. And i fell in love with the instrument because it was different. No one else played one, it was cool, and it was a lot of fun. I've played other instruments too, and nothing matches the joy of feeling my sound shaking the very floorboards that I stand on.

I am not claiming to be talented, just creative.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

*It's a secret*

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i apologize for generalizing. you have a good point. it mustave been the oatmeal i had this morning.;)

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    No problem... you're obviously passionate about music. That's still a good thing;)

7. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I think the answers lie in this thread. If you can get a great-sounding and *loud* 4-string (low E) rig for $1000, then you might need twice that for a 5-string (low B). The farther south you go in frequency, the vastly more expensive and difficult it gets. It's basic physics. Like the rest of us, you have to make a choice if you are constrained in any parameter. You said yourself that price is an issue, power is a constraint, and you want it to be loud. Very difficult to live within all these requirements at 31 Hz. This is like the classic example of wanting a Ferrari but not having the means.

I have a 5-string and the means of buying whatever equipment needed to reproduce it. However, I neither feel like lugging around 400 lbs. of cabinets, nor buying a truck to haul them with, nor feeding it with a power amp that will blow circuit breakers on every downbeat. Nor do I feel like spending that kind of money for an extra few notes of hi-fi. The rig I have gives acceptable performance - I'm willing to live with (and enjoy) the sound I'm getting, even though it can't put out 130 dB at 31 Hz.

- Mike

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

oh yeah, he did coach them too, those films do get around eh?

yes i was just making a joke thanks for pointing that out Gard

9. I find this downright offensive. But i'll consider it ignorance, that way I'll spare myself the hassle of getting upset.