1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do Squiers and Fenders have the same pickguard shapes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Just curious.

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Depends on the Squier I think. I know for a fact that a standard Fender Precision pickguard is not an exact fit on an Indonesian Squier Presicion Special, but it's very close. I know because I replaced the PG on a Special with one that I'd used on a US made P bass and while the pickup and control cavity areas were fine (excepting minor screw hole alignments) the area over the neck on the forward part of the pickguard was actually shorter with the US pickguard, so the screw there was right under the edge of the pickguard.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I can say, IME, no, they dont. I have a '98 Squier P that I bought a fender PG for and I had to drill new holes practically all the way around. Cant remember what the year Fender it was from but it didnt fit perfectly. It still looked good though.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I'm fairly sure the pickguards on the CV Squiers match up with the Fender Vintage pickguards. I think on the affinities and older models its a little hit and miss.

5. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    My MIJ Fender precision is the same as my MIK Squier II precision or at least very close. Can't comment on anything other than that though.

6. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Shape? Yes. Holes? Not always.

However, with Fender getting into the direct sales market for necks and bodies this may become a moot issue altogether. They have to standardize parts to get the direct sales thing right, and they're stating that their necks fit both Fender and Squier model basses, which we know that in the past there has been some conflicts.

I know there are a number of people who have stated recently that their VM and CV Squiers share the same hole layout as the pickguards for MIA basses. If they go all in on this plan it's gonna make things so much easier and more fun.

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It depends on the Squier model in question. I had a Fender Jazz pickguard (black pearloid with the truss-rod adjustment notch on the neck pocket…that'd make it for MIA's, right?) match up nicely onto a 2009 Affinity Jazz.

The one's that have been the most problematic for me is the Squier Standard line. When I moved the aforementioned pickguard to a Squier Standard Jazz, I had to take a Dremel tool to the neck pocket, pickup route and the edge against the control plate. I've had similar problems with a couple other Standards too.

8. I compared pics of Fender Precisions to my VM Precision. Now I naturally couldn't tell about the shape and the size, nor if the neck cut would fit, but I did notice That at least one screw on the VM P's guard was in a different position than on the Fenders, about an inch's difference at least. I figure, if the one screw was so far off that I could see the difference in a picture, then I would be suspicious of the others being positioned right.