1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do stereo preamps exist?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Corwin, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Corwin

Corwin

May 8, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I mean, I've found the Alembic f2b and... Well, and nothing. Not that the Alembic is out of the question, but is there something a little more, uh, budget-conscious?

2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I just realized that you could get two Tech 21 Sansamp RBIs, and it'd be half of what that Alembic would set you back.

As far as answering your question, finding a preamp with two completely seperate signal paths (one that doesn't group them into the same output) is very difficult. The Alembic is the only one I could really find.

3. http://www.rane.com/sp13.html

Steve Rabe (SWR founder) had a company, Raven Labs, that made a "Universal Stereo Instrument Preamp," but he retired a year ago and it's no longer available. You might be able to eBay one, though.

4. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    what would be the benefit to having a stereo preamp?? whats its practical use in a live setting?

5. Run one channel of clean, hi-fi sound and another of distorted grind, maybe? In the '70s, Geddy Lee would run his Rick 4001's neck pickup to an Acoustic 360 rig for bell-bottom-flappin' lows, and the bridge pickup to an SVT for big grind. I think Chris Squire's live rig was similar.

Having a two-channel preamp would allow this with a considerably smaller setup. You could have one 2x10 with a tweeter on the clean side, and another 2x10, with the tweeter turned off, on the dirty side.

6. A Presonus MP20 might be what you're looking for - I'm sure there are many others…

- Wil

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Maybe you could find a used F2B for cheap?

1) One stereo bass.
    2) Two mono basses. Each would have its own set of level and tone controls, so you could switch from one to the other without having to mess with level and tone.