1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

do string companies have endorsers?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by denchiq, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ...and how do you get one. Like, if a man is a pro bassist, what would be necessary and sufficient to obtain endorsement from, say, DR strings?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Getting an endorsement deal requires basically one thing: convince the company that you can help them move product.

3. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    A huge following, positive and plentiful press and visibility on tv also count...

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Sure they have formal endorsers. DR has Sting and Marcus Miller doing ads for them. Rotosound used to have a whole slew of them. D'Addario has a huge list of endorsing artists too. Otiel Burbridge said he was buying D'Addarios even when other companies gave him free strings. After that interview, D'Addario approached and they set up a formal endorsement. Nathan East has recently switched, as he's been a D'Addario artitst for over 20 years, but I just saw an ad for Dunlop strings.

Just like any other endorsment deal (BTW, the ARTIST does the endorsing, not the company), it's based on lots of things. Some, and I'd wager most, endorsement deals are based on the artist liking the product to begin with. And most of them don't involve cash at all. However, tour support is critical, especially with amps and speakers. If you are an artist who is respected enough and well known enough that your endorsement will help the company to sell strings, then contatc them. But if the angle is only to get something free from them don't expect even the courtesy of a response. They ain't gonna have time to answer all those e-mails.

jte

5. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    +1

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    +1

It's about helping them move the product and wanting to move the product for them. Free stuff comes after.

The question is, do you use and endorse the product enough to want others to buy it, because you really think it's a good one? Everything else falls into place later.

7. +2.

8. Well, it is like this.
    My friend is a pro musician in a popular alternative band in my country. Recently he became a Lakland endorser (with the use of advice from the TBers), so I would think he has chances. The questions are, whether you have to be Sting or MM to attract a string company's attention; and, can anyone give specific hints.

Thanks,
    Denis

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    God forbid you go on the makers website and look at the criteria. :rollno:

10. yeah, that was a joke actually

still, bump.

11. God forbid the makers website post that criteria.:rollno::eek::meh: