Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do TB people like Paul McCartney, Geezer Butler, John Paul Jones etc.?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jacob M, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    From my initial impressions of this board, it seems that most people are either into some sort of funk playing or virtuoso-style playing. However, I was never really impressed with these guys, and was wondering how many of you listen to/like the kinds of people who inspired me to want to play bass, specifically Paul McCartney, Geezer Butler and John Paul Jones.

On a semi-related note, is the NIB solo something bassists are requested to play so often that it's taboo, like Stairway to Heaven or Freebird is to guitarists?

Thanks for humoring me,
    Jacob

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have never heard anyone ask me or any other bassist for the NIB solo...

Geezer is my hero, though.... He was the original "lead bass" play in rock and all its sub-categories, as far as I know...

He created the vast majority of Sabbath's riffs... the man is a virtuoso..

We all love JPJ and paul mac, too.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Jacob,

Believe me, man, there are PLENTY of fans of all three of those artists here and they've all been discussed at length. At one point we had so many Paul McCartney threads being constantly started here that the mods had to make an announcement about starting excessive McCartney threads when you can just add onto one that's already started. I know I just saw a JPJ thread here recently. Do searches on those guys and you'll defininetly find plenty of results. It's possible that we don't discuss McCartney as much anymore for two reasons - 1 is that he's been discussed and discussed and we really probably don't have that much to say anymore and 2 is that he just doesn't have a whole lot of new stuff coming out thus he's not on many magazine covers etc... those are often the types of things that spark new conversation about a bassist. Geezer was on the cover of Bass Player recently so that caused another Geezer thread to start up. We're a diverse and passionate crowd and there are many here who like the technical guys and many here who hate those very same guys. Stick around a while and you'll see that.

Remember...the search function is your friend.

brad cook

4. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    That's weird that you've never been requested teh NIB solo, I've requested that of every competent bassist I've come across.

About Geezer creating Sabbath's riffs, I had heard in an interview with Geezer that Tony constantly borrowed his Frank Sinatra CD's, and when the interviewer asked kind of surprised whether Tony really liked Sinatra, Geezer responded with "Sure, where do you think he gets all his riffs?". I've never listened to enough Sinatra to find a simmilarity though, but you never know...

Digme, I'll try to search before I make assumptions like that, just glad these guys aren't forgotten about as people get into more and more strings and more and more obscure bassists.

Peace

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'd certainly toss Geezer into that first "generation", but to the best of my knowledge both Jacks (Bruce and Cassidy) as well as "The Ox" had taken more of a "lead" bass role in their respective bands.

6. Geezer Butler owns on bass.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig all those guys, style and taste move me more than any wankfest ever will.

Other faves of mine:

Sting, Claypool, Cliff Burton, Nick Oliveri, Jack Cassidy (just discovering him), Geddy Lee, Paul Simonon, Dave Maines, Roger Waters, Felix Papalardi, Marcus Miller, and many, many more.

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    OK, I am feeling stupid here, NIB solo? Someone help me out here and make me feel extra stupid? :confused:

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    On the actual Black Sabbath cd or lp, the song that contains NIB is close to 10 minutes long. There is another song, a drum solo, then a bass solo (which is basically playing around with the riff from NIB with more string bends), and then the song NIB.

10. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks. I am still not familiar with the name, though I am sure I have heard the tune.

Jacop, welcome to TB. I am sure you will find it a wealth of info and plethora of opinion. Humm,...................... especially the second part :eek:

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I started playing with this drummer & he always say's my playing is like Geezer. I'm pretty sure that's because most, if not all of the music I listen to has been directly influenced by Black Sabbath!!!!!

The 3 basses you mentioned are 3 of my biggest influences. On the top of that list is Geddy!!!!

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Geezer is why I play, and in my 24 years of playing NO ONE has ever requested "Bassically" (name of the track that is the bass intro to NIB)... truth be told it's just a pentatonic rambling. Hardly needs a competent bassist to fake.

Mike: Geezer calls Jack Bruce an idol in the BP article.

Jacob, Welcome to TalkBass! and an FYI: JPJ, Geezer and Paul all had groove and authority in their lines... which is generally where we as bassist find our inspiration.
    :bassist:

13. More people ask to hear the Seinfeld theme song than Bassically/NIB. JPJ and Geezer are two of my most respected artists. I can't say much for paul, I'm not much a Beatles fan, except maybe the later stuff.

14. greezer is why i play same as jpj. ima 18 lol the solo is bassically. frist time i heard it i was liek um i guess iam gonna learn bass frist thing i tried to learn gave up on it half way thru guess ill finsh learning it.

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I still love Paul's, Geezer's, and JPJ's playing. But, I'm in my forties and I grew up listening to their playing and learning their lines.

There are many posts about JPJ on the forum, so there must be a good amount of players here who admire his playing and sound.

Same goes for Geezer and Paul.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That makes two of us. I listened to Sabbath back when I was in the 8th grade, 1972(still own Paranoid & Vol IV on vinyl)...for some reason, I never went further with them.

...and the fact that I'm not a competent player & I don't really do solos is probably why I've never been asked to do NIB.

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Those are some really great bassist that have influenced many in Rock Music today. :bassist:

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Playing 30 years; never, ever, had a single request for any recorded bass solo from the audience. Had one guy in a band try to get me to learn a Yes solo piece, that's it.

BTW, I dig all those guys, especially JPJ. But, stopped listening to that stuff around '75, for the most part.

19. well, i like those virtuosos, but i do like the JPJs and the geezer butlers, they are the ones who got me started on bass. i find in my rock band, i play more like a mix of geezer butler and nick simper (the original bass player for deep purple, listen to DP's first 3 albums to know who i am talking about) i think those guys are virtuosos in their own right, i mean, they can't play 1/128th notes at 250 bpm like wooten can, but they can really play imo.

Charlie

20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    That intro to NIB actually is known separately as "Bassically". You can even find the *gag* *wretch* TAB for it here, if you click on the TAB Archive link and drill down to Black Sabbath's stuff.

I've never been asked to play it, which is good as I don't have it down at all beyond the very beginning!

Oh yeah, another point, this little intro isn't called "Bassically" in the WB Sabbath bass sheet music book they put out, so I don't know how/why it was broken out in the TAB archive (and other places as well).