1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do the 2008-2012 American Std Precision Tuners drop into 2000 - era holes?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by philthygeezer, May 16, 2018.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Inquiring mind wants to know. Do the newer smaller lighter tuners drop into the mounting holes for the older larger heavier tuners without making new holes or abandoning old ones?

If not, is there a Hipshot factory replacement for 2000-ish American tuners?

Thanks! P

adpmpzfq-.
    fender-american-pro-jazz-bass-mn-3ts_04xxl.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    no, but it doesn't matter.

getting rid of those ridiculous boat anchor keys will be the best thing you can do for those otherwise nice older american standards, so you gotta do what it takes.

as long as you get "large post" lightweight keys you'll be fine, as long as the post fits solidly through the headstock it's not hard to do whatever drilling in the back is necessary

3. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks. I thought someone might have made a drop-in replacement but seems not.

4. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    To revive this: what's the best option for replacing these tuning keys considering the need to cover the holes already there, and the need to minimize further holes?

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If you are referring to the tuners pictured in post #1, above, Hipshot tuners. Their Ultralite (USA) tuner requires one hole to be drilled that is visible. The present holes the Fenders have will be covered as they are now.
    Scahller has the M4S Light that should be a drop in replacement for the top photo. Schaller also has the BM light that should be a drop in replacement for the second photo.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  6. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks very much for this! I'm thinking that I might go with the Hipshots as they onely put one hole in and are about a third lighter than the M4S Lights. However, I like the idea that the Schallers won't put any new holes in the headstock, though they don't seem to offer traditional clover leaf keys.

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I believe I gave out some bad information here. That top photo of the Fender tuner, I believe the Hipshot WILL expose the alignment holes for that tuner.

8. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    No worries Sissy. I saw pics of the Hipshots on a Fender after researching your post. The important thing is i didn’t know that the Schallers were an option. Thanks again.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    interesting about their lightweight versions with two locator pins, never seen those in the flesh.

the second photo shows keys that are already lightweight, no need to change those.