Do the Aguilar and Epi 1-12 cabs really have it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I am used to two Bag End S-15D cabs which I have loved but I need something a little more portable that is good for upright and electric and has the tweeter for slapping. I was thinking of going with two Aguilar GS 1-12 cabs with my Eden WT-400 or my SWR SM-900. Basses that will be used will be fender Jazz, R bass 5, and upright(acoustic).
    I am really not sure if the epi 1-12 cabs will fit in my trunk. Are not the aguilar smaller?

Thanks friends:bassist:
  2. Sure they have it... but it's really up to you, isn't it.

Obviously the BE's were a bit too bulky and didn't have enough top end bite for your slapping needs. Either the Aguilar's or the Epifani's will meet your needs... but the Agi's are darker and smoother while the Epi's are more refined and hi-fi. Might I suggest one of each to trully meet you needs?
  3. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Havent tried the epi 112 but my favorite 112 is the bergantino 112. I think its smaller and lighter than the aguilar.
  4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    IMHO I didn't like the aggie for upright. The bottom end with the URB was uncontrollable and its scooped sound just gave an undefined thud with my bass, which is pretty brite sounding. Using the same amp and URB with an EA cxl112 the sound is a lot truer and tighter. The aggie seems to work for other URBists though- go figer.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd recommend one Epi T-112 and one Epi T-110UL. This combination has much more articulation and better tonal balance, to my ears, than two of the same cab. I have this combination, which I use with my Walkabout, and it is great for both electric and upright. Plus, when you don't need much volume, it doesn't get much more portable than the T-110UL!

Another option to consider is the EA VL-208. I have three of these, and two of them pushed by your SM-900 should be able to shine on either electric or upright.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would have to say that the aggie is an interesting cab but no match for a bag end 15
    ya could try a be 15 with the tweeter
    overall i think the epi is the top of the 112 crowd, bergie aint bad either
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    with that WT400, i recommend going with the Epifani.

its got mucho more clarity than the Aguilar, and when i had the WT400 and used it with my then GS112, the sound was too dark, no matter how i set the trebles. fine for fingerstyle, but for slap or anything where i needed to cut thru a dense mix, it sounded too buried. when i did get something relatively more open and airy, the highs were harsh and piercing. the Epifani on the other hand does a great job of giving you that clarity without the harshness.

i tried the WT400 with my old Bergantino 1x12, and it sounded ok, but i didnt like how the mids were too congested sounding. a bit muddy, and not nearly as articulate or glossy and clear like the EA iAMP350 + Berg 1x12 combo.
  8. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    The Epi is a bit more square-ish or cube shaped than the Agi. In other words, the Aguilar is shorter, but deeper. The Epi sounds smotther to me because it's not as scooped and "old school" sounding, YMMV.

I've heard the Epi frequently with a bridged PLX1602 powering it. Sounded so good, I couldn't imagine what two would sound like.

I was likewise amazed at how my little Genz Benz 112 sounded with the same Kern/QSC rig. We we throwing (potentially) 1200 watts at my little 150 watt cab. It sounded better than when I usually power it with my head or rack(450 watts).

The 110 plus 112 combination sound like good advise also.

I pick Epi over Aguilar, with money as no limiter.