Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do the DR's and others fit a 35" MTD?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chaindog, Nov 15, 2003.

1. I'm looking to try a set of Fat Beams on my Heir, and want make sure they'll fit a 35" scale bass. I've had some bad luck with GHS, and am trying to save a return ordeal.

The other strings I'd like to try are the Alembics, SR2000, and TI's.

Has anyone had trouble fitting these on a 35" bass?

Thanks in advance.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have used Dean Markley SR2000s on my Cirrus, which has a 35" scale. And I just installed DR Longnecks on my wife's Lakland D55-01(35"), strung through the body. Don't know specifically about Fat Beams, though.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Fatbeams fit nicely on my MTD 535's, which are 35" scale. In fact, DR strings are all long, IME. I've never had a problem fitting them to any 35" scale bass.

4. The high beams say on the box that they fit up to a 37 1/4 inch scale basses, so it should be long enough.

5. Thanks! I'll be placing an order today.

6. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    embellisher, what's your take on the DR Long Necks? So these actually work on a 35" scale through the body to where the taper still sits on the bridge?

7. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I use DR Hi-Beams on my 535 and they fit just fine. Not so for the TI's though. I tried a set and had to remove some of the silk to prevent it from being where the string fits in the nut. Another problem with the TI's is that if you don't position the "button" just right in the HiPShot bridge, that they pull right out. Too bad really, because I really like the tone and feel.

Right now I have a set of Dean Markley Stainless Flats (DMS_2619) on my 535, and they fit, feel, & sound great.

8. embellisher

Yep. They string through the body, and the tapered part goes over the saddles. I am not sure how well that they would work strung through the bridge, seems that the tapered part would make them awkward to play near the bridge.

As far as tone, they are very bright. A little too bright on my wife's maple board 55-01. On a rosewood board bass, they would be a little warmer. I recorded a live gig with them the other night at a studio here in Irving. Can't wait to hear the CD and see how they sound. But my impression the night I played(I had just put them on a couple of hours before the gig) that they were too bright. Hopefully when they settle in, they will sound pretty nice.

I like bright strings, don't get me wrong. But the combination of these strings, with an already very bright bass, were just a little much. First time that I have ever thought that strings were TOO bright.:)

9. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Thanks embellisher. So...are these strings brighter than Dean Markley SR2000? I've tried a lot of taperwound sets and I can't ever get the strings intonated properly. I know that most people say that tapers intonate better than non tapers but I've had the opposite be true. The upper registers always seem to have warbly sounds and a lot of strange overtones (yes, even acoustically so I know that the pickups aren't too close). I would love to use these strings (especially the DM SR2000) in that the lower register notes are really strong and bright sounding. Around the 7th fret up on the sets I've tried seem to have stange overtones that progressively gets worse higher up. Enlighten me on what I'm doing wrong. I know that one school of thought suggests that you can't inotnate taperwound or exposed core strings correctly because their mass per unit length is different. Now if Will Lee has a signature set of these SR2000 and is a studio wizard I would assume that strings with (possible)design flaws like this would be unacceptable. Thanks for your help embellisher!

10. embellisher

I have never tried SR2000s on the 55-01. As I said, it is an exceptionally bright bass.

But my overall impression is that they are brighter than SR2000s.

I have heard a couple of other people, Peter McFerrin for one make the same comments about taperwound strings.

I have never had the problem with the warbling that you describe. I have used SR2000s on my Cirrus a lot, and play a lot in the 7th - 10th fret area on the B and E string. Never had a problem with the sound. I also mess around at home up in the second octave, and I have never noticed the problem up that high either.

Maybe you guys are hearing something that I am not. Or maybe it is the particular bass(es) in conjunction with the taperwounds that causes the problem.

I used to use exposed core strings(Superwounds) on my old Peavey Foundation, and spent a lot of time above the 12th fret. I never had a problem with the low E warbling with those strings.

I wish that I knew the secret to solving the problem. But since I have never experienced it, I don't have a clue.

I wish that I was more help.