1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do the Eagles of Death Metal Suck?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Very self explanitory. I hear the term "Rock N' Roll Revival" thrown around constantly, and the EODM have been billed as such. Let me say that I love Kyuss and Queens, but I caught these guys on Conan... and it might as well have been the White Stripes with a little more talent. I don't remeber much about the music, I remeber more a general confusion. I remeber hearing that Josh Homme hates metal :rolleyes: which uhm, doesn't make sense because Queens/Kyuss could get pretty heavy. But maybe he speaks in the purist/satan worship/death metal/low grunting/speed metal. So right off the bat, I didn't expect a death metal album. Thought I do think it would be hilarious if The Eagles of Death Metal were a death metal supergroup, like the death metal equivilant of the Eagles. Or perhaps a death metal tribute to the eagles.

Anyhoo, the confusion. First of all, I thought Josh Homme had become a Hot Topic kid with a handlebar moustache. But he was actually behind the kit. Vocals/guitar were by a fellow by the name of Jesse Hughes. And Josh Homme is using the alias, Carlo Von Sexron. The performance seemed catchy, but stupid catchy. Like "Oh baby, yeah yeah" catchy.

Did I forget to mention, no bassist.

Yep, jumping on that bandwagon. Bassists, who needs 'em... It wasn't until really watching that performance that I realized how important we are. It was all ultra hollow sounding and the guitar and the drums seemed to be two totally different things going at once, no unity between anything. But then again, WE know how important we are... ;)

So what's the verdict? Because if the only Queens song I heard was "Go with the Flow" I'd write them off as a pop rock group as well.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Saw them on Conan. The drummer is the singer from QOTSA right?

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yep, Josh Homme. He has a thing going on called "The Desert Sessions" and it's where a bunch of musicians get together and make music. He made some songs with a guy named Jesse Hughes, who was an old friend I guess.

Anyhoo, Josh wore a Eagles of Death Metal shirt when he was touring with QOTSA, and enough hype built up, so they made an album.

Anyone hear the entire thing? I don't want to think that Josh Homme did a side project that completely sucked.

4. I saw them on Conan.

I nearly shot myself. But luckily it ended before I could get a gun. And I turned on the channel half way through the damn song!

GODDAMN it's annoying! :mad:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That's what I was wondering about. But I heard it's a pretty diverse album... I try not to judge a band by one song. But yeah, I felt pretty similar. I managed to watch the entire thing, jaw open in disbelief.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Not to derail this thread, but I think it's time to start a "no guitar" band trend. Guitar is SO over.

7. I think QOTSA are a bit overrated- and the Desert Sessions very dull- saw that on later with Jools Holland.
    Josh Homme should concentrate on QOTSA rather than playing on every album around- I don't think he's got that much talent to spread out over so many bands.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree. I get the sense that he thinks he does though.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Clatter seems pretty good. Plus, at a feminist rally thing on campus, I saw two girls, bass + drum, it was OK, the bass wasn't filling up enough space though. Messhugah originally wanted to be an all bass band, who knows, it might catch on.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know; I think 90% of the bands on Conan, blow. He seems to often times, have these really bad indie groups who should have never picked up instruments. Once in a while, though, you'll see someone cool like Gov't Mule or Bela Fleck.

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The good 10% were King Crimson.

12. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Search Robert Sledge or Ben Folds Five ;)

They could have been the honor guard for the new movement.... :(

13. I don't get it. What's with the death metal stuff? It just sounds like a couple of teenagers who just got instruments playing lame garage rock. Oh well haha