Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do the flecktones count as jazz?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Because we are supposed to bring in a jazz CD or song that we listen to, and I was gonna bring in "sinister minister"... is that jazzy enough?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    how about intercourse in a pan?

3. MauriLii

MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    Hey Man, it works for me!

Besides, I don't think that there's a list of songs/musicians that anyone can consider absolutely jazz or not jazz. Well except for maybe AC/DC, GWAR, etc... You get the idea.

4. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Could you consider them world/fusion music?:confused:
    but damn... i saw them on PBS a little while ago, they bring down the house!!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm assuming you have their first album(?).
    If so, go with "Hurricane Camille"...

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I count them as being pretty jazzy, although not quite at the core of what most people call jazz. I'd regard their lineage as another step beyond jazz-rock fusion - you've got a bunch of highly skilled musicians, a fairly unusual selection of instruments, and a pretty fluid approach to music, blending technical expertise, improvisation and a fair dose of fun.

I'd be interested to hear what range of music gets brought in to answer the assignment.

Wulf

ps I was just spinning 'Ufo Tofu' this morning... great album

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Considering Outbound won a 2000 Grammy for best Contemporary Jazz recording...I don't think your teacher could argue with that selection.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got that one and it definitely has some Jazz moments - although a lot else besides.

Some interesting Jazz 'fusions' with other world music and with contemporary styles - so like Hoedown was written by Copeland and is usually played by symphony orchestras, but is taken back to its folk/country roots as well as adding some Jazz improvisation - I think this album would provide enough material for a graduate musicology lecture - let alone a general school class!! ;)

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There's more than a few who consider Contemporary Jazz("Safe Sax") as R&B...
    ;)

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe those who never heard this CD...absolutely not R&B.
    The rendition on Hoedown and the renditions of "That Old Thing" are nowhere near that catagory. Most of the rest of it would be closer to "world" music.

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Don't worry about it, take it in and play it.
    Besides there's different types of jazz,
    Sinister Minister has it's place.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    actually that is what i was thinking... just burning donna lee, POT, and minister onto a CD and tell him to pick one and play it...

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You could play Vix 9.

14. Jazz or not ... who really cares?

Listen to "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo"

They kick ass :D