Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do the French find APC's "mer de noms" album name funny?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Feb 8, 2003.

1. yunno, because it sounds like "merde", which means sh**?

did they rename it for the French market, in a similar way to how the Toyota MR2 was renamed?

2. doesnt it mean sea of names?

3. i can't imagine maynard renaming anything he does because someone might find it weird...maybe if they didn't think it was weird:p

4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    well, since it's french anyway i don't see why this title would seem funny to the "normal" french reader.

but one question: i only had french for a very short time in school and already forgot everything, but shouldn't it be "mer des noms". if so, perhaps it's indeed some kind of phonetic joke.

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    In French, the prepositions have to agree in number, too!?!

Jeez, I'm glad I took Spanish.

6. Wouldnt that mean "sea of the names"?

7. yep, that's what I thought, but when pronounced it sounds the same as "merde", well, more closely than MR2 or "m,r,deux" does.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I asked my mom, who speaks fluent French, and she says that prepositions agree with objects.

I wouldn't put it past Maynard to be a smart-alek...

As far as how it actually should be spelled, kinda tricky. There may be some cases where it doesn't necessarily have to be "des." Hmm...

9. Even if it is "mer des noms" that would still sound the same as "mer de noms" as the 's' would be unpronounced, though for "sea of names" mer des noms is more correct I think.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, the pronounciations of "de" and "des" are different.

11. yep, de is pronounced "der" , des pronounced "day", unless the word after begins with a vowel letter, and the s is pronounced.

still, "mair day" as mer des would sound, sounds similar enough to "maird" as merde would sound to elicit a puerile reaction from Viz readers such as myself :p