Do the musicians in your local scene get along?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, May 5, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Question I've been wanting to ask you guys....

I've played with other bands during benefit gigs and have played with other musos who sat in during my gigs. It's always been fun and there has been a great deal of mutual respect between the two parties. At least in my eyes.

Though my local music scene has its own personal webpage with a forum, there has been a lot of mud slinging in the forum. I've found myself engaged in a few flame wars, and decided to quit bothering with the forum because (1) I didn't want to make myself look bad, (2) I didn't want to make other musicians I've played with look bad, and (3) I'm leaving the area shortly anyway.

Still, I've noticed a trend: All of the musicians on the board who have done well in music get along great and are pretty much nice guys. (I've played with a lot of them of course, and most of them are top notch musos) but all of the people bashing and flaming are in bands that are pretty much unheard of. It seems that a lot of people are jealous that some people are becoming successful. (and rightfully so, like I said, a lot of these people have worked their asses off to get where they are).

I'm not an advocate for brown nosing, but I also believe you shouldn't burn bridges, which is what a lot of these guys are doing.

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you have expierenced anything similar.
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    There's always gonna be some people who don't get along, likely due to failed earlier attempts at gigs/bands together.

Don't take sides - get to know both people and then decide for yourself.
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    There's a lot of negativity in my local scene, but most of the vitriol is directed not at other musicians, but at some element of the local 'scene' that is holding bands back. All of it is complete bunk, IMO. Almost every last musician in town is bitter that the glitzy new live music venue in town brings in a lot of out of town cover acts. 'They have no respect for the great pool of local musical talent' is what you'll usually hear. Nobody in town seems to want to play the kind of popular cover material that the out of town bands typically do, however. Local players would much rather whine about the injustice of it all. My band (minus me, of course) blames all of its ills on local booking agent monopolies. The truth, of course, is that the band members insist on playing covers that they like instead of covers that the booking agents like. All of this is just plain, old-fashioned scapegoating. Some of the younger bands actually have the best attitudes - they're not spoiled by the idea that making $100 a man is some god-given right.

Anyway, there's my little chunk of bitterness and frustration for the day. :)
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've never been a big scenester, and now that I'm back in gigging bands I get out even less than I used to. But my experience at open mic nights and multi-band festivals/showcases has been largely positive... meaning, I seem to run into a smaller percentage of jerks in the music scene than I do out in my area as a whole.

I don't know if this reflects well on the local music scene, or poorly on the area as a whole... ;) :D
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The scene down here is pretty friendly, due to the fact that at any given time, there aren't a whole lot of musicians. Wait, I take that back, musicians who take it seriously. I always hear about other bands who've had people walk out of practices (for literally no reason, other than they are tired of playing) without saying a word, fights, drug problems, ect. There are plenty of people who play guitar and drums (not so many bass players and singer though), but very few musicians.

Most people here want to be in a band, they could care less about music. It's tough finding a person willing to practice 2-4 times a week (my bands old schedule), who are willing to grow, musically, willing to put in their dues, not make exuses when it comes to times, places, and in some cases, gear (don't ask :rolleyes: ), who are willing to practice, or at least have been playing for more than a month. I have no idea why a person would want to be in a band when they have only been playing for a few months. Now, every scene has this, but when 99% of the scene is comprised of these sorts of ignoranuses :)D), you get a bad scene.

And a lack of support from the non-musicians. But that's another rant altogether.
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's not really like that though. It's more or less angry garage band musicians lashing out at more sucessful musicians (who have actually paid their dues) they never even met. It's a bunch of petty stuff of if you play covers you're a sellout and all that normal egotistical driven BS. It's not very many people, maybe two or three, but it's enough to make going to the board not very much fun at all. (because they have to start a flame war in every thread) Hope I'm not sounding to whiney. It's just that I have so much for respect for music and musicians that have proven themselves and paid their dues dedicating time to their craft, (instead of trying to talk smack) that it irks me sometimes

Still, I was never much of a scenester either but have always enjoyed jamming with other musicians and bands. (As a player, I'm always trying to evolve and one way is to watch other players) All of my expiernces with jamming with other's has been great. (though there were some hysterical times, but that's another rant :D )
  7. Of the 4 bands in this "scene" I get along with the one I use to be in. I quit, and now they have a bassist better suited for that style. So we get along. Once in a while, if we do a gig together, I'll come on to do 2 of their old songs, and Carousel.
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yeah for the most part but there are some A-Holes in every scene, You judge for yourself, here's the link to our local music scene message board,
    Wormtown Music board
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

Check out THIS THREAD from one of my local musicians' boards. You'd kinda have to know some history to know why I dug into this guy as hard as I did (I am 'Grooveburger' in the thread), but with my civil manner on TB as my witness, this guy way begging for it. :D

10. I am still in high school, and there are a few bands at my high school. Ofcourse, we don't get along. For some reason there is pretty much a band for each type of music oddly, so everyone can find one they like. Theres punk, alternative, metal, and my band which is pretty much just a jam band that plays everything (nothing heavy though...) sort of jazz/ska/rock.

There are always opportunities for us to play at school and sometimes outside, and we always end up fighting and bickering at eachother, ofcourse it's nothing serious. There are always quarreles among musicians and i don't see anything wrong with it. Nowhere in this world can you go and like everyone you meet, and that just has to be accepted. There's nothing wrong with not liking someone who you don't get along with. Saying what you really think is better than keeping your feelings inside or telling someone you like their music when really you can't stand it.
  11. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Heh, this reminds me of a bunch of bands from CT that all hated each other, and the two that were more sucsessfull were the most egotistical and very big on bashing other bands. I just stoped paying attention to all of them and just played with few different bands from CT. The shows were intresting.. We would have a Black Metal band, a goth metal band, an industrial rock band, a thrash band, an instrumental jam prog band, and our band, which was pretty much modern rock/Power Metal/Prog type of stuff. Never really big crowds but they were very unique to say the least...

We were mainly popular with the more musician types...

Ah the memories...

12. actually the guys i get around we have a lot of respect for one another,we jam together and network as well,i have run into some not so friendly guys and gals but i dont think that has anything to do with music some people just dont know how to act when they cant see past there nose,i basically stay to myself on the road and observe,i not the kinda person who puts myself out there until i see where your coming from first,i get along with everybody so if someone talks to me stupid i usually just let it pass,its just better that way people know people,its like if someone is a jerk to me hes gonna be a jerk to you,so we dont say anything bad about anybody but we all know who the jerks are,kinda thats how i tend to try and live my life,it takes all kinds,i tend to stay away from people who dont know how to respect others where i come from respect is BIG ISSUE
  13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The scene here is cool! Everybody gets along for the most part. If your in working bands, there are always guys that will throw barbs at you.....but those guys usually don't gig, and make every kind of excuse that if they did gig, they would be waaay better than you;)
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Cripe. The rock band I joined about a year ago has mandatory field trips. First they all showed up at a gig my country band was playing. We were using a sit-in drummer that night, and who shows up? Our regular drummer. He wanted to hear the band from the audience. A lead guitarist we use as a sub in the country band showed up with another guitarist that jams with us at parties.

Then, the rock band's next mandatory field trip was to go down to see a band at a Navy wife bar down south. So we all went down to see them, and our girl singer sat in for a few tunes. Then last weekend, the rock band played a gig at a local watering hole, and some of the country band showed up, along with the rock band we saw at the Navy wife bar.

Now, is that love, or what?
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Munji just described the Sydney scene. I can't go watch a band without being dragged up on stage to play a few tunes. It's kinda like a brotherhood (and sisterhood) here where we all watch out for each other and help each other. Some of my best mates are muso's from the scene - it's a good thing.
  16. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    at least all of the bands at my highschool get along really well. we promote for each other, always try hard to make it to shows of other bands, hang out together, and are just really friendly. i've made so many great friends from other bands from my school. it's really nice:)
  17. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Thankfully the Australian local scene is fairly easy-going (as with most stuff down this way. Who can be stuffed being a prick?), and there's a lot of crappy local acts and very few quality ones. IMO, my band happens to be in the latter category and it's great because everyone is ready to acknowledge where they are and what they need to be doing to go higher. Even better, the bigger bands will help out the smaller ones - but obviously not if they're completely hopeless and should be shot, right? The only sort of feuds that develop are over girls and whose shout it is. Beautiful, really.
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've found this to be pretty universal. When I was younger, I knew guys who would actually steal gear from other bands and rationalize it by saying that "those guys suck anyway" :rolleyes:

There's absolutely nothing to be gained by backstabbing and infighting. On the other hand if you are easy to get along with and a team player you will get the phone call for a gig over someone who's a jerk even if they can play you into the ground. Over the years I've found all the really good gig opportunities I've gotten were due to word of mouth from other players who had heard me and dug what I was doing.

Because of the way the scene has supported me I feel I need to give something back by supporting other players, especially newcomers to the scene. I'm not concerned about other players stealing my gigs or the guys who got the record contract and started touring, if they are working for it they deserve it.
  19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My town: Montagues and Capulets.

Just kidding... we all play nicely.
  20. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The older cats generally get along very well. Many of us know each other on the street.

Some of the youngsters tend to think of the scene as a competitive arena.

Not all, but there's been heckling and stuff I've learned of. It depends where you play.