Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do the Pedulla's, fender J's, laklands. sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Do these basses (or the J type version) of all of them sound relatively the same? I mean they are all J's... swap out the $100 ppickups and you have the same thing right?

How different are they in tone?

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The most experience I have is with Pedulla Rapture J's, but having an all maple body/neck combo is very bright with a good amount of high-end *zing* to it. Even with the rosewood fingerboard models, which I see far less of, that high-end is only tamed a little. Add in the smaller body and large routing underneath the pickguard, and IMO you have only the very basic J-bass sound, with the body and electronics having a very large impact on the tonality.

I'm thinking the Bartolini pickups and active preamp cost just a bit more than $100. ;) But to answer your question, no - not the same thing in this case.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The pedulla in particular sounds very different from the others given that the body is made out of maple, which is not a traditional Fender tone wood.

You can swap pickups and make them more simmilar, but tone starts in the wood. They also all use different bridges which can have significant tone impact.

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Pickup spacing places a role, too. Not all J-style bass makers put their pickups in the same location with respect to bridge and neck. This can have an important effect on sound.

Many go with the classic 60s Fender Jazz spacing, but other people locate the bridge pickup closer to the bridge, etc.

As pickles noted, the type of wood used for the body (often ash, but other woods are prominent) plays a role, as well.

As far as feel, fret size, fingerboard radius, neck thickness, and string spacing can make a sweet sounding bass unacceptable for some players, depending on their personal preferences. It's generally a bad idea to buy a bass that feels uncomfortable, IMO. Most people will eventually get used to it, but I don't like the idea of starting a relationship off on the wrong foot. :D