Do the saddles on a Badass Bridge II to be installed on a Fender J have to be filed?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pmad_bass, Dec 17, 2012.

1. pmad_bass

pmad_bass Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Back in the late 70's I recall installing one of these on a J that I borrowed from a friend and I did not file slots (in the otherwise) flat saddles. It seemed to play fine. Is this less than optimal, could be problematic or pretty much the common way folks install them.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes, fret saddles need grooves for the strings if you want it having correct string positons etc. Baddass for some odd reason normally doesnt add the string grooves. They expect you to pay ithe person nstalling the bridge for you to file them for you.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The don't have slots so you can nicely set them up for a j or a p aligning strings perfectly with the poles. A pragmatic solution to a p slotted bridge not lining up on a j bass; especially concerning the bridge pup on a j.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1 the entire point of the design according to leo quan the designer is to put the notches in the saddles to create clean, distinct tracks for the strings to ride in.

you can get by without slotting the saddles; you can get by without washing your feet, too.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021