1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do these effects exist?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by newbold, Oct 22, 2009.

1. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Christmas is slowly approaching (Thanksgiving first for you Americans)
    and I wanted to know if you know of any products on the market that have these features all in one (respectively):

Bass-friendly blended instrument/microphone preamp with low gain drive, FX insert, and active DI:

blendable dual-pre (fast ss/tube(y))
    opto/high sustain comp pre-loop,
    switchable pre/post tweakable soft clipping drive

7 band Parametric EQ (2 band low, 3 band mid, and 2 band treble)
    Switchable input VU to monitor drive and comp
    Switchable Output VU for Preamp and limiter

+4/-20 (?) switchable, bypassable fx loop,
    post-loop output limiter w. threshold control

input switching/level control for 3 (or more) instruments
    (mono bass, dual output bass (w. phase toggle for mono/piezo w. seperate outs) and keys/guitar/violin/banjo/mando/etc.)?

+++++

Rhythm and Step Sequenced opto Tap Modulation (trem/wah/vibe.phase) with chorus/flange and sidechain trigger:

touch sensitive ramping rate
    variable and shiftable waveform (sine/snake)/(triangle/sawtooth)/(square/rectangle)
    crossed-over or Parallel blend: Envelope following, ramp rated, or static
    with chorus/flanger in series or in blend
    Housed in Wah/Rocker
    with manual sweep, high/low/wide, and wave shift expression control modes

There isn't to my knowledge a product on the market with a touch sensitive rate control like the old Roland Phase Five.
    If there was a tap tempo mod/rotary effect like with a sawtooth low pass filter like this I think it would be undeniably amazing

If you are a builder and incorporate these ideas into a pedal, I'd like to have a crack at playing it, and most likely owning one.

I hope they're on the market...Let me know if you know that they are. I'm in no rush to buy more gear.

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The korg "toneworks" ax3000b has a step sequencer that you can control with the expression pedal. I think it can also allow you to add modulation effects to go with it. I don't use step sequencers that much. if that doesn't work, you might as well get a separate chorus or flanger pedal to do that.

based on your description of a preamp pedal, I'm pretty sure everyone here would recommend the tech 21 sanamp bass driver or the sansamp paradriver. the hartke vxl would be a good choice if you want an affordable preamp pedal.

as for eq pedals, if you don't mind graphic eqs, I would recommend either the boss geb-7 or the mxr 10-band eq pedal. this is all I can think of from you pedal descriptions. I hope this helps you out.

3. "input switching/level control for 3 (or more) instruments"

I've always wanted this.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Raven Labs MDB-1. You'll have to find a used one, though.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Raven Labs PMB-II. Also must buy used.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego

Sounds like you're looking for a multi-effect; Analog seems out of the question because I don't think you're fitting a pass filter, notch filter, delay line, lfo's (new lfo's no ones ever heard of :smug:), envelope generator, etc into a wah casing... and I don't know who would want to try and cram all those circuits into a single pedal with ultimately limited control over each effect/stacking effects; if a single wah pedal did have all those individual effects in it, I couldn't imagine being able to use more than 2 of them at a time, and with limited control over modulation settings unless the thing was literally covered with knobs. Right now you can achieve the things you're looking for- tap tempo/midi sync'd modulation of filters, delays, etc, but you're looking at a significant amount of money for the individual pedals and a controller like the MP201; this is expensive and takes up space, though it would provide a significantly larger level of versatility, and that is just the reality of what it takes to achieve such lofty goals. (ie: audio signal goes through the bypass Moog LPF and into the Phaser; Env out from the LPF goes into the Phasers 'Rate' input, and therefor sweeping the rate knob based on your playing dynamics)If you're looking into the digital realm, then there are probably more than a few multi-effects that should be able to handle your list with relative ease.

Is the touch sensitive mode on the Roland Phase 5 controlling the LFO speed, or sweep? IIRC there is a switch to go between two speeds (with designated knobs), and two modes: one regular lfo controlled, and the 'touch sensitive' or 'touch control' or something, which I assumed is envelope phasing. (as in the envelope sweeps the phaser, instead of the envelope modulating the LFO speed parameter, though I haven't done any research on them).

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    As far as the 'mod' pedal in a wah housing goes...

I didn't say vox/dunlop wah - as Voodoo Lab has their WahZoo that is a wah with a step sequencer...but going further tha that would be taking that and merging it with a sort of 'deluxe' EHX worm - and by that I mean switchable multi-mod.

So...the same LFO or sweep control for a few different mods.
    I was thinking something like the EBS WahOne housing but with a fatter base all around with a few button switches and some control knobs for parameters. A rocker pedal, expression mode, master bypass, and a tap tempo would be crucial steppable features, with the other controls (which could realistically be less than more, as width, fast rate, slow rate, sensitivity, depth, waveform select, and blend - 5 knobs - aren't really too many)

As far as those Raven Labs units - if they were both in the same housing and designed with the knobs on top they would fit nicely on a pedalboard. That raven Labs stuff is amazing from what I gather - I know a guy that uses the white one for his electrics and an upright.

I definitely could use an EQ pedal but if an EQ were built into a preamp/DI that has ample input routing and an FX loop with an output limiter I would certainly not poo-poo that.

Seems like what I want is an EBS MicrobassII with a couple of added features...like an output limiter and channel switcher/level control.

Ths all comes from my desire for a few things:

1. Italia Mondial Electric Hollowbody bass. Magnetic and Piezo outs - straight ous, no blended output on this baby. I really like the bass but it provides me with a problem: 2 parallel mono outs. What to do?

2. EBS TremoLo - this thing is not tap-tempo in an era of tap trems, the EBS tremolo has a waveform select and switches into a mod. low pass filter. Exactly what I want but I still feel disappointed, and with no EBS dealers near me, I figured I'd ask if this was all available ... somehow I'm not suprised, cause nobody around here talks about this awesome mod. pedal that they can use for just about anything.

3. Dunlop Rotovibe. Hey - it's a cool effect in a wah rocker...why not improve it with a tap lowpass sawtooth trem and solve my need for a chorus and flanger in the dry blend?

With my pedalboard slimmed down (no more DL4 or BMS) I'm trying to find a couple of tools that fill out my desires.

I have to say though that I am happy with my tone. Looking forward to travelling next month to work with a few people across the province and not just playing in my home.

8. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I didn't either; Vox, Dunlop, EBS, ... they're still in wah housings, brand name aside. Even if you started with the larger WahZoo which already has the manually and lfo controlled filter, the problem is fitting all the other necessary circuitry into a single pedal at a reasonable price point-- I'd guess that it would probably be need to be closer in size (and surpassing in price) to the MP201.

Have you looked inside of a delay/flanger/chorus pedal before? An analog delay circuit takes up quite a bit of space, and chorus/flanger is just a short modulated delay; so for these effects you'll need digital tap-tempo circuit, the oscillator and envelope generator, pass filter (autowah, env filter, etc) , a notch filter (phasing), delay (chorus, flange, vibrato, etc) etc. Even if you could only use one effect at a time, and the knobs controlled the same settings for each effect, there would still be a significant amount of work involved in wiring up such a thing and I think ultimately would not be cost effective. Unless you planned on using each effect with the same LFO or envelope, then it would be difficult switching between those effects in a live situation as the settings would need to be changed for each effect (ie going from an envelope filter to an lfo'd phaser with a slow&wide sweep, then to vibrato with a fast lfo and much smaller sweep)) Sure it could be a cool pedal, but I personally don't think there would be enough of a market for 3 to 5 effects in a single housing with limited controls/usage of effect combinations.

Im not a builder or an electronics whiz so Im just speculating, but I do not think that such an analog pedal could hit the market at a price point that is equal or lower than the number of individual effects it housed; digital seems much more likely... but I'm no expert! :)

9. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I hear you about the limitations but the EHX Worm is now nano. EF/LFO would be shared with a possible seperate filter signal

Even if it weren't in a wah housing and had an epression pedal control and a trigger input that would be a great unit. Tap Tempo control - some kind of tap tempo trigger control voltage unit - would therefore also be a great product to have on the market

I could deal with no chorus/flanger if it meant that I'd have a mod pedal with the usability of the Worm/Pulsar/TremoLo/Wah One all in one housing, or put it in a small box and save space.