Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do these EVM-15B-loaded cabs sound like a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 17, 2006.

1. There's a guy in the Recycler selling a pair of them for $100 each. The drivers are in 24.5"x21.5"x31.5" enclosures, which seems like a decent size for a 1x15. I'm not sure if they're in sealed or ported enclosures, which would have a big impact on low end and such.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not long ago I'd have said to jump on them, but no longer. The new Eminence Kappalite 15s exceed the EVs in performance and weigh in at a third what the EVs do, and go new for $122 at BLT Sound.

3. These are cabs, not raw drivers, though. I have no joinery skills whatsoever, so $200 for a pair of cabs ain't bad.

I emailed the guy to ask about the porting issue and he says that the ports are designed such that one of them can be closed, depending on the gig.

I found another dude in the Recycler selling a D-210XLT for $240; I may just jump on that.

4. I'm sure the guy will let you play them - then you can decide if they are worth the money!

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Unless there's a typo in your first post, that's a huge cabinet!!! The TL606 cabinet that EV designed for the EVM15L and EVM15B is just 23-3/4 by 19-1/4 by 17 inches...

Any idea how old the EVMs are? The original designs were only rated 100 watts IIRC.

6. These are Series II EVM-15Bs, rated at 200 watts. I suppose that is a pretty damn big cabinet.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If the speakers are in good shape you could have fun with the monster cabinets and then when you're done with them, remove the speakers and sell them for a profit...

8. Hmm...turns out that the above-mentioned $240 D-210XLT has non-standard drivers (Eminence Deltas) in it. No wonder it was so cheap.

If these EVM-15B-IIs are really in that good of shape, I could probably get a good sum for them. I think I'll jump on this. Who needs highs? :D

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have the 215 EV cab with the 200 watt drivers. My guitarist is actually using it as part of his rig right now and it sounds surprisingly good as a guitar cab.

10. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    So I keep reading from those who know how to do the math and read the charts that, as stated above, there are now better speakers. Please if you will, suggestions for a 2x15 cab that will blow my Mesa Diesel 2x15 (EVM 15L) away for vintage rock and blues? Thanks!

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Get thee to the Eminence site, and check out the cabinet pdf's for the 3015 and 3015LF. All the cab design numbers are printed, you just need to make a choice of size and LF extension. All the suggestions are for single drivers. If you want to do a 2x in a single enclosure volume double it. One of the tech types here will tweak the port dimensions for you if you ask and give the cab design you want to double.
    EDIT: all the volumes are internal, ie don't account for the wood thicknesses.

Greenboy swears the 3015 is the best for fullrange. I have the LF's on order but am going to add a 6ND140 and a good 1" + flare above them so I don't care about the upper performance of the 15. I just want the LF out of it.

12. mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    As much as I would like to try it, cabinet building is probably a stretch for this foundation and framer type builder. Any company putting these speakers in their cabs?

13. You should get some decent highs out of those cabs, as long as they're in good shape and you stand directly in front of the speakers.
    $100 for each cab is an OK deal, but not great. That's about what I've seen the raw speakers go for. If you like them, buy them. If not, shine them on and I'll probably end up with them.:ninja:

14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If you're in the building trage, do you know someone who makes kitchen and bathroom cabinets? They'd be able to do it easy, but you shoul have no trouble either. It's basically a rectangular box with a couple of holes. My background is electronics, and my woodworking skills and tools limited, but I manage to make decent boxes.

I have my 4cf 3015LF box sketched on paper. If I can learn Sketchup quickly, I'll have an electronic copy and pic soon too.

15. mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    To the OP, I love the EV 15's, L's or B's probably not much diff, and Mesa knew how to design the cab, IMHO. A9X, hope to see your design soon!

16. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Sure. Worst case I'll get my sketch scanned next week.

17. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You do realize that this thread was started in March of 2006 right?

18. The being able to cover one port thing makes it sound like a TL606 design. If that is the case, and if it was put together by a competent craftsman, what you have is a Mesa Diesel 1x15 with an EVM15B rather than a 15L. Could be a good sounding box, probably well worth 100 bucks.

edit :
    just noticed that last post about the date.

19. I realize it's a stupid point, and I'm probably calling the wrath of the Audio Gods for even bringing it up, but...

I'm a buffoon, and totally unaware of specs, so I'll grant you there are better specced speakers now than the old EVMs.

That said, do specs on paper (or computer screen) necessarily equate to a better sounding speaker? Is "Performance" = "Tone?" Let's say I like the sound of those old EV speakers. So there are new ones, better, stronger, faster, and all that. But will they sound better to my ears? Maybe part of what I like about the EVs is that they do NOT faithfully reproduce the sound run through them. Not contradicting anyone, just wondering if going for the new "better" speakers is the best way to go for everybody. Plenty of people ditched the old --records, tube amplifiers, analog synths, you name it -- for the newer tech and regretted it down the line.

OK you can start throwing things now.

20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Not at all and it's true what you're saying. If you like the old Mesa cab and EVM drivers because of the way they sound, excellent, use them.

With regard to the paper specs, the work of Thiele and Small on ported enclosures is well understood and it makes it easy (with software) to get the max LF performance out of a given friver and cabinet. It also allows for it to be 'shaped' to a given response if that's the designer's intent.

I'm of the view that getting the max clean LF response is worthwhile for BG. So far it seems that everyone here who has taken this approach has found it to be an improvement, including a couple who have replaced the EVM15 drivers with 3015's.

You may also wish to look at the two long "Boutique 3 way on a budget" threads here.