Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do These Exist?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Im looking for some dual concentric pots, that are 250K? i can only find 500K ones! (Looking for the 250K's because they give a darker sound, apparently)

- Will

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    You could put a 500k resistor in parallel with the 500k pot. The pickups will "see" 250k, and the pots should theoretically function normally. How well they actually function will depend on the input impedance of your amp (or whatever the next thing in your signal chain is). I've never tried this, but others have told me it works. Anyway, it's worth a shot.

3. Its an idea i thought about, but wasnt sure if it would work, i guess i could always do that, would prefer 250K pots tho, just because it would be easier *bump*

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Specialty pots aren't usually an easy thing to find. I spent months tracking town a stacked 10k/50k linear pot with a center detent on the 50k element only when I busted the only in my Ibanez. When I finally found a replacement, it was $25! Often the only solution is to improvise with what you have on hand.

Anyway, good luck.