Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do they even MAKE these 15' speakers anymore?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jan 8, 2003.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alright, i have a OOOOOLLLDDDD Peavey 15. it's in a VERY small cab, and i need a new one. i would get a new 15,,, but this is perfect for what i want,,, i'm almost sure that the cab is really to small to take full advantage of the lows a 15 can produce, but i have it on top of my 4x10 (it's smaller than the 4x10) and it makes GREAT midrange sounds,,,, and part of my sound is the high freq's i get from ,,,, the ... uh.. alright,,, ive never seen a cab like this before,, i'm not the well travelled. but where the dust cap, the dome in the midde, uselly is,,, their is a indented screen,and round one, that i'm almost POSSITIVE produces these high freqs. My question is,,,, do they even MAKE 15's like this anymore? It isnt blown,, but it's old,, and doesnt handle the 150 watts i'm sending it.. you can hear it going "flbbbttttt" like a torn speaker at high volumes, maybe it's the cab, i don't know. If they don't make them anymore,,, i would like suggestions for a 15 that has a high end driver along with it. the tweeter in my peavey 4x10 leaves something left to be desired.... and it blew anyway,, and just DOESNT have the sound my 15 has. at low volumes anyway. Well, thanks for your help in advance,,, i sorta need to get this out of the way,, so i can move on to my "Rickenbacker or Spector Re-bop 4" delemia.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Got any pics?? Is there a take on the outside?? Did you open it up and look onthe back of the speaker(magnet)?

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    A pic is a great idea,, don't know why i didn't think of that before. i'll put some up tonight. If i can figure this stinking digital camara out... always takes pics at res's that are to high and big to put on talkbass.

I mean,, this thing is NOT pretty, the screen just sorta,,, pops off. and there's like,,, bugs and stuff in it,,, when i first opened it... and opon futher looking, it seems to be ripped around the middle... i'll post a pic...

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Here is the cab, and a close up of the speaker.

[​IMG]

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ...dont worry, only got it for 100 bucks no tax.;)

[​IMG]

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    PB, that looks like just a really old Peavey Black Widow. Or its predecessor, what was it called, the Spider??...........not sure. Anyhoo, the screen in the middle is just an air vent to keep air pressure from building up behind the dust cap when the cone moves. You can go to your Peavey dealer and get a replacement basket for about $80 and be in business! You just unscrew the magnet, lift it off and carefully drop it on the new basket. I've done it between sets! Hope that helps.

Pull it and see for yourself.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    AWESOME,, thanks Ineal.... guess all the high end i clack and finger noise i was hearing was the speaker itself?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Well in anycase, i figure i'll do what you say, or get a replacment speaker.... and,, i don't know if this thing even HAD a name... all it says is "Peavey" on the cloth grill, and just a plug for a 1/4 cord to go in the back.... i have NO idea how old it is,,, seems there is no numbers that are openly visible. thanks,,, any more thoghts are welcome,,, i thought all the highs were coming from the center,,, and i DO now remeber someone on talk bass telling me they made older 15's that had a tweeter or something like it that was in the speaker? whew... lord e... I'll sort it all out in the morning. but thanks for the help Ineal.

8. CraigV

CraigV

Jan 8, 2002
    This speaker did not have a coax tweeter. It's simply missing it's dust cone. You could either replace the basket if a replacement is actually available, or replace the speaker entirely. Which depends on availability and your budget.

If it's actually a Black Widow, they just have a naturally good high-end response to go along with nice lows. It's really a good old speaker.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    15' speakers? As in fifteen feet? Man, Spinal Tap would kill for some of those.

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    That's what I was thinking, but I wouldn't share with Tap!:D

Polly, whats the impedence of the cab? 8ohm? Just do like Ineal suggested and get a new basket, you don't need the whole speaker. Just the cone. It's easy.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Sorry, that " ' " after the 15 was an mistake.
    Man, this 15 has the most AMAZING highend ive ever heard... must be the drugs... or something.... I'll do what Ineal recomended. thanks everyone.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I don't think you even need to spring for a new basket. Just get a re-cone kit.

13. I was fixing up a Peavey TNT130 the other day, and the speaker sounded blown. Since I figured I had nothing to lose, I went ahead and unbolted the magnet from the basket just to check it out. I found that the old foam that was installed behind that metal screen you see in the above pictures had disintegrated, gotten into the gap, and turned into a black goo. It had frozen up the voice coil. I was able to scrape the stuff off the voice coil, scrape it out of the gap, put the speaker back together and it was fixed!

Just a tip for anyone using old Black Widow speakers that seem to be blown. Check for that foam rot clogging the gap.

I removed the remaining foam tidbits from around the screen.

Chris

14. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    That's the way you do it with Peavey speakers. The motor assembly unbolts from the basket with 3 bolts. To my knowledge there isn't a recone kit available for Black Widows, you just get a new basket assembly. Besides it would take a helluva lot more skill to recone. The Peavey system is pretty much a no-brainer!:)

15. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    That's a good point. I've seen several BW's saved that way.

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Thanks, I didn't know that about the Black Widows; I just assumed they had recone kits just like most other drivers.

Even if I had a ten-foot pole … ;)

17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Just FYI, the new Low Rider and Pro Rider have a similar set up, as do Scorpions.:)

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey thanks for this, so, did you replace the foam? or just take it off compltely? Now i have to learn how to put on a new basket,,,, i'm sure it won't be that hard,,, i mean,, if it's a NO BRAINER. Alright,,, new basket, check for rotting,,,,oozeing black foam behind that screen.... alrighty. thanks,,, but i SURE didn't think this was a black widow cab,,, it's way to old.... the screen has two metal strips going down the sides of it,,, if that helps,,, might have been put on after someone got it. It had one handle,, on top, and just a hole in the back for a 1/4.

But thanks,,, really, i had no idea what to do,, i thought i was gonna be called crazy for wanting to KEEP the thing!:)

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well...........I took off the speaker,,, and to MY SURPRISE.. on the back of the speaker,,, in a older type font,,, "Black Widow"... WOW,, i really didn't know i was getting an old black widow when i got it in the first place! i at first thought it was an older type Peavey PA cab.... i know i know,, i'm an idiot. but did not know that the black widow series went back so far. THANKS again.

20. Are there (3) Allen head bolts on the back of the magnet? That's what you remove to seperate the magnet from the basket.

I just removed the foam completely.

Since yours was exposed due to the missing dust cone, the foam in yours probably just fell out the front of the speaker. If the dust cone was in place it would trap the foam rot and it would make its way into the gap. Hopefully you can see what I'm saying.

Chris