Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do they make 6 string fretlesses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Nov 29, 2000.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    is there such a thing as 6 string fretlesses, i'm sure there has to be but what companies and models are they?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes, "they" make 6-string fretless basses. :cool: Let's see - Carvin, Jerzy Drozd, Ibanez might, but I can't take any more of their website, Dean, Armen, F Bass, Ken Lawrence, and Aria - these are a few of the manufacturers that make 'em. I'm sure there are lots more.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do they make 6-herm bressesses?

5. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Yeah a wack of folks make 6 string fretlesses. I hate that Ibanez site too...way to complicated and time consuming....I also hate that cheap slap line that they force you to listen to.

6. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    the ibanez site takes forever and isnt rewarding yea i wanted to get an ibanez 6 but i can never get on that site to see one

7. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm sure that any company that makes a 6 string fretted would also offer a fretless version, and if they don't you can get the fretted version defretted.

I play a 6 string fretless Modulus which is, IMHO, the perfect bass :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

8. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    If your real desperate you could just get a bass custom made.

9. I'm not really sure what kind of bass it is (Carl Thompson?) but Les Claypool is famous for slapping on his six-string fretless.

10. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    good point 564

11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    In the non-boutique mass-marketing world, the 6-string fretless electric bass is wildly under-represented.

I have yet to see a 6-string fretless under $800. Most of the big lower-cost names who do 6-string fretted do not offer 'em at all, such as: Ibanez, Dean, Carlo Robelli, Washburn, Samick, etc. I don't think even Yamaha offers one at any price. I think the Peavey Cirrus series offers a fretless 6, but it sure isn't under a grand.

Fender and Gibson/Epiphone do not offer ANY 6's; nor have I seen any from the likes of ESP and Schechter.

I believe the Carvin remains, at $819, the least expensive fretless 6 on the face of the planet. And a darned nice one at that -- but that's another thread.

12. Ted

Ted

Dec 11, 1999
  13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    You dont remember the price of the Cort Curbow 6 String fretless, because there is none.
    :)
    Greg told me.

14. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Well, COOL. I had been surprised that no mass marketers had taken the plunge. I stand corrected -- and pleased to hear it!

15. Babs

Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    Try Kinal, he will make anything you want http://www.kinal.com . Very nice and willing to help fair price for what you get. A great Bass.

16. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    My experience has been that most companies that make a 6 string bass will offer a fretless as an option, they don't exactly go out of their way to advertise them, but they're there. If you have a specific manufacturer in mind, email them.

and Les Claypool of Primus does play Carl Thompson basses!

[Edited by bassics on 12-03-2000 at 02:07 AM]

17. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Pedulla makes 6 string fretless basses. I have a Hexabuzz and recommend it highly. Great bass in every way.

Chuck

18. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Warwick also makes a couple of 6 string fretlesses(?) I have a Corvette 6 fretless, and am very happy with it. However, it was definitly not under a grand, so if you are looking for cheap, Warwick may not be the way to go.