1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do they make a locking nut for bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FUNKonthewall, Dec 30, 2006.

1. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR, Earthquaker Devices, Focusrite
    I'm looking into building a bass with a Kahler Tremolo and I was wondering if there's a company out there that makes a locking nut for a four string Fender Jazz neck. I found a pre-slotted GraphTech nut, but I was unable to find a locking nut. Is there any hope for me? :confused:

2. you're in the same boat as I am. I have the whammy bar all installed, the floating bridge and all. It tunes great but I can't find a locking bridge that will work. If you have found anything please let me know.

3. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Is a locking nut a good idea when you dont have fine tuners on the tremolo? Locking tuners would be better i think.

4. great idea. I am going to try that. I think that would work great.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

A Locking nut would be useless for a Kahler. All you need is a well lubricated nut, something like tusq. You may want Sperzel locking tuners too but they're far from mandatory.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    What Jazz Ad said. Never had a trem on bass, but Ive never used a locking nut on any trem equipted guitars Ive owned. The top part of all such have allways just been tossed in spare parts drawers if kept once I got the top part that locks down off. All set up for full floating. Locking nut not needed. Just good nut, good tuners, and proper winding of string around post when its strung up.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i know a trick to keep whammified basses in tune...for $50 i will tell you.

:D

not really...here's what you do...as you tune the bass, bend the whammy bar. sometimes they don't come back to pitch if you don't do that. but if you're bending it as you tune, the strings and bridge get used to being whammied and the bridge comes back to the original position a lot easier and won't go out of tune. it's pretty good about coming back to its original position, but not always...with this method it will always come back to its original position.

i agree with the others as well...sperzels are nice to have but not necessary. a graphite nut and tuning while bending the bar is all you need...and honestly you don't even need the graphtie nut. you could just put on powdered graphite or rub pencil lead in the nut slot.

8. Totally agree.

I've got a Kahler fitted to an old Aria TSB-400 & have never had any tuning problems apart from an initial settling in & later on, a pre-warning that a string's about to give out.

My regime for it is similar to Jimmy's - fit strings, tune, stretch the strings in, retune, do several vigorous dive bombs, retune & then play 'em in for a couple of hours.

FWIW my Aria still has the stock plastic nut & the unbelievably cheap set of standard "JapCrap" tuners (also fitted to Columbus, Hondo, Encore & others of that ilk) and they've never given the slightest hint of trouble (which is more than I can say for the SBs!).

Gratuitous photo of the headstock:

TSB-400-04.

Pete.