Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do they make bass bodies from pine?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oliver, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    if yes, does anyone know the tonal properties and what woods it may come close to in regards to tone?

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I beleive that Warwick put out a line of basses (Streamer Standard?) a while back that were Pine. They sounded subpar to my ears and they felt rather cheap to me. Don't know how much of that was the wood vs. electronics. Think that the wood was too soft for my tastes. I don't think I would personally opt for pine. All my opinion of course, but I'm right. ;)

edit: The above is not a dig at Warwick. My go to bass is a streamer lx.

3. I've not come across pine...but I have seen cedar bodied basses...

I imagine that cedar would give nice round tones with softer attack...

with a soft wood like cedar, it may be a good idea to have a hardwood top on it, like maple or even walnut

4. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I think the bass that kael is referring to is the warwick rockbass streamer standard. It's made from carolena, which apparently is pine.

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Yep, that's the one. Wasn't a fan of that one.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm fairly certain that agathis is a pine.

7. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    thanks for the input so far boys

8. no...agathis is not a pine...agathis is a conifer. But, it's properties as a tonewood are probably closer to mahogany than pine or cedar.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Pine is also a conifer. Agathis is also known as "kauri pine".

Web Knowledge Online describes it as:
    Agathis - n : kauri pine

GardenWeb's HortiPlex Plant Database describes it as:
    Agathis australis - kauri; kauri pine
    Agathis dammara - dammar pine; amboina pine

EcoNorthland has this to say:
    The kauri tree, Agathis australis, is New Zealand's largest and most famous native tree. It is a type of conifer or pine tree which grows in the subtropical northern part of the North Island.

10. I'm talking from a standpoint of its wood properties, not the fact that it is a conifer.

I thought my post illustrated that. However, I'm not going to be pedantic about it. Yes, by your definition, agathis is a pine.

11. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Why yes they do. In fact the electric "bull fiddle" invented in 1935 by Paul H. Tutmarc, essentially the forerunner to very first electric bass guitar (the Audiovox #736, also Tutmarc's invention) had a body made out of white pine. It's amplified sound was described as having "a rich, deep tone, sustained as if five or six bass violinists were bowing five or six bass-violins with masterly artistry. The tone is sustained as long as you want it, too, without a bow.”

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    How about oak? The stuff is really hard. I've never heard of anybody making a guitar out of it...I wonder why not?

Slug

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    HEAVY!

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I know a guitar builder who uses pine for his necks.

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what about willows? like the big weeping willows?

16. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    This one has a pine body. Sugar pine is what they called it.
    Sounded amazing. Spruce neck and pink ivory fingerboard completed the package.

17. Nice, Carey! do you have a pic of the front...I'd love to see that pink ivory fingerboard.

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In terms of the tonal properties I've got 5 low end Ibe's, 4 agathis and 1 basswood (one but ugly wood). They range from a dark thudder to very bright. 3 are mid range such that in a couple years swapping pups in and out of these 3 basses, I haven't really been able to pull any defining characteristic that seperates them - 2 are agathis and 1 is basswood.

Once I swapped necks between the thudder and the bright bass and the acoustic tone of the bass followed the neck.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Weren't the early Peavey T-40s made of oak?

20. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    No, it's not a pine... even though it's called "kauri pine" The only sense in which it is a pine is that it kind-of looked like a pine to some dumb settlers, and the name stuck.

True pines are all in the family Pinaceae (that's not to say all plants in the Pinaceae are true pines...).

Agathis is in the Araucariaceae, and is more related to Araucaria araucana, the Monkey Puzzle tree.