Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do those who frequent the Bass Guitar forum ever check out the gig calendar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Jan 23, 2003.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I mostly follow the bass and amp forums, and have always wondered if anyone ever checks out the postings/notices on the gigs calendar? Granted that we are all over the place geographically, but we should try to support one another when possible. My band has two shows this week in the Chicago area, and I'm just curious as to whether anyone ever checks those dates to see if anyone will be playing in their home town?

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I check it out every once in a while but I have to admit that the headline should ALLWAYS contain the city that the gigs in if its some name followed by W/the blackhawks or somthing I dont even think about it.

AJ

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    There's a gig calendar?!?

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Doesn't sound like too many people are into the gig calendar. Too bad.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I check it when I'm posting a gig myself - hopefully that will happen more frequently in the next few months (if you're into an urban jazz / soul vibe, you might be interested in my band's latest gig, which I've just entered.

At the moment, it seems to be the bands Lyman and Generic who are making most use of it - I wonder if it could cope if we all posted our gigs? ;)

Wulf

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    With 80+% of US citizen on TB and me in Germany it's pretty useless, unless somebody gives me a lift in his/her Learjet. :D

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I prefer to PM people who would be interested/I've met/I've been to their gigs/whatever.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've just updated the calendar with three more dates for Lovesjones at the end of May (30 and 31 at Jazz After Dark in Soho, London) and 1 June (Cockpit Theatre, near Marylebone Station).

There's still not an overwhelming number of things on - how about some of you other UK folks posting your gig dates (and considering mine ;) )

Wulf

9. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    There's nobody else in my area, so it doesn't help.

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How do you know there's nobody else - you might get somebody who knows somebody who hangs around here coming along to your gig...

Wulf

11. Gig Calendar ? :confused: :eek: :p

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Yes - Gig Calendar.

See the top of the page (right next to 'Rules' ;) )

Wulf