Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do u like SWR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Coleman, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Yes, i am

304 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. No, i don't

138 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. NO Idea

68 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    do u like it?
    what u like/hate it?(basiclly for sound,design, user friendly)

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    If you're after a modern hi-fi sound, SWR amps are probably among the very best ones on the market.
    Some time ago I was about to get a hi-fi rig for a charts cover band. I wanted an SWR. The project finally did not work out.
    All the best,
    JL

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    IMO they live off their past (SM-400, Redhead), but they're past their prime.

Now there are others who do it better.

A German mag did a amp shootout with higher end bass rigs (SWR, Eden, Glockenklang, Tech Soundsystems, Gallien-Krueger and Peavey) a while back, and the SWR turned out to be the least linear of the batch (and no, it wasn't a Working Man's or LA rig).

And it's still not sure how the Fender buyout will affect quality and support/service.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've tried them and feel they lack a certain "warmth" compared to Eden, say.

If you are a big slapper or tapper, though they may well suit you very well.

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I own an SWR Electric Blue head (early SWR Engineering model) and an IOD preamp-- love them both. The electric blue head is absolutely awesome for URB-- I run it to an Avatar CB112. THe IOD is nice and warm-- at least the way I've got it EQ'd. I don't really got for all out distortion-- just a bit of overdrive and tube warmth.

6. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    After owning a Super Redhead for several years (96?) I needed more power so I upgraded to a 750x with a 4x10 and 1x15. Its certainly louder, and it sounds OK, I guess. The tonal quality I'm still dialing in a bit and the addition of a Stingray has helped. I like its features for gigs, i.e. tuner send, speaker switch, on board limiter (don't use it though), tweeter output control, etc... I borrowed a Boogie for a gig and thought the sound was good, but I didn't have it long enough to make a good comparison. I spent a tidy sum on this rig, but I would sell it if I played something that was clearly a step up. I suppose I'll keep it until someone lets me in on a better idea. Convince me.

7. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I love SWR cabinets (I own 2) but the heads just don't do it for me, even the older ones. I think you can do better with an Ampeg. I really dig the SVTIII Pro. Of course, you can't really go wrong with Eden either, although you might have to cough up more $$. I just don't care for SWR amps, that's all. :cool:

8. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I have an SWR Grand Prix preamp (1991 vintage) that I really like. I do like the "SWR sound," Aural Enhancer and all.

But with the latest stuff I think they've gone a bit too far with the bells and whistles. The Mo' Bass is just plain silly, IMO.

If Fender was smart, they'd make SWR a sort of "skunk works" operation... in other words, keep ownership, but let SWR run independently... INCLUDING customer service.

I recently exchanged some emails with them and the signature at the bottom of their messages said "Thank you for choosing Fender!"

Pfeh. I DIDN'T choose Fender, durnit!

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own two Baby Blues, in my opinion one of the greatest bass amps ever invented.

10. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I've been using the WM4004 with one 2x10 for nearly two years and I am totally satisfied with it. I doubt that I would like it as much if my genre were heavy metal, though.

Pkr2

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I used to like 'em for their clean properties. A little too "clacky" for me these days, however. And now they're owned by Fender...

12. I got a 350 swr bass amp head, not the new version but the one which came before the 350X, I absolutely love it, I use it with a 2x10 xlt cab. You can obtain any tone you want from it.:D

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the lower priced stuff seems to sound very bland

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm really happy with my setup. it has the perfect amount of warmth, fat lows, punchy mids, and really sweet, clear highs. But i'm using an Interstellar Overdrive pre into a carvin dcm1000 power amp, so it's pretty different than all swr's other heads.

I also could not be happier with my Goliath Sr. It's loud, it's clear, it's got plenty of booty.

If my stuff got stolen, the only SWR stuff i'd replace it with would be the exact same stuff.

15. I used to love the "swr sound" now it just doesnt do it for me. Ever since i played an eden metro that was next to a super redhead i realized that there are a ton of better companies than SWR.
    -Ryan :bassist:

16. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I think that their cabinets sound just as good as everyone else or maybe even a little better. But their heads dont do it for me. They sound fine (IMO), but mesa, eden, and ampeg make heads that sound gorgeous (again IMO).

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not since the Fender buyout. I'm a GK guy anyway.

18. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I think they're great amps! I still remember the day I first played on a super redhead ... i bought it ;) Actually I sold my Ampeg B2 so I could buy the Super Redhead. The best decision I ever made. BTW, I'm not a slapper at all and I play in a blues band .. go figure !

19. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I bought a Workingmans 1 x 15 today new for 169 canadian at a blow out at a local chain store (Long and McQuade) great cab for that money it was marked 570 reg price so I am happy I just wanted it for my living room anyways.

20. Infested_Leming

Infested_Leming

Jun 29, 2003
    Canada
    Why can't my Long & Mcquade do blowouts like that. Stupid crap for sales.