Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do unopened packs of strings expire? (Shelf Life)?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jun 14, 2005.

1. If so, how long do they last usually? I just bought like 5 sets of different strings to try them all out (I'm a bit over zealous) and I'm concerned about the shelf life.

Anyone? :confused:

2. Eh, I imagine over a period of time/ climactic changes they might develop *some* natural corrosion, based solely on the materials used and all that, but over the long term, I can't imagine the change would super-drastic.

I've seen some stores that have had the same packs of some off-brand or pricey strings on the rack for a couple years at a time and they don't seem overly concerned about it...so I'd think you're fine....

UNless you're the type to only change strings once a decade.... ;)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It depends I guess, some weeks ago I bought some Rotosounds for small € that probably are 7-10 years old, still crisp!

4. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    I emailed two string companies about this very question last month.

They both replied: one says 1 year, the other said 2 years...

Mike

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Exactly what is keeping you from changing strings for over 5 years? I like to make it an even 4 months with my DRs. Always last and always sound great. I can swing $60/yr. :D

-Eric.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    It also depends on how long it took for the Strings to be Wrapped, Packaged and Shipped to a store after the Bulk String was Completed. Different stocking methods exhist from "Bulk to Packaged" between and within each company. Alot can happen in that time that is due to Weather and Humidity.

Not an easy question to answer by any means. I would not give a direct answer as there are too many variables. Fresher IS 'always' better. Go by thet if you can determine what IS actually fresher.

7. I bought a set of Alembic nickles once that where corroded when I got them home. I assume they sat for may years in the store. Never bought Alembic brand again.

8. Strings should have "born on" dating, like Budweisers... ;)

the King of Strings!