Do us all a favour.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FLEABITE, Jun 1, 2001.

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I know it's probably not my place to say this but it's only my opinion so here goes.

I'm getting sick of people starting threads saying "this band sucks" or "that bass player sucks". I mean If they dislike these musicians so much why go to the trouble of starting a thread about them proclaiming so. I can understand if people want to DISCUSS a particular artist in a REASONABLE and MATURE way, but openly proclaiming your opinion and presenting it as a fact is not the way to do it. I think some pf these threads are born from a "lets see how many people I can annoy" and "lets see If I can start the ULTIMATE flame war" attitude.

O.K. I'm done.
  2. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I still don't understand why people can be so defensive about bands. Unless someone is saying that YOUR band sucks, just let it slide man. And what's the deal with people not being able to tell the difference between opinion and fact? I thought that sort of thing was taught in schools, but I could be wrong.
  3. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Is it okay if we can PROVE that RCHP sucks? :)

You have "FLEA" in your handle. You have a RHCP quote as your sig. I think you're over-identifying with this band a tad. RCHP doesn't even know you're alive.

The thread in question started off pretty light-hearted, I thought, but folks immediately went off the deep end. In general, all of the ugly, humorless posts came from the rabid fans. I have never understood people who get bent over people dissing THEIR band or THEIR football team or whatever. HELLO, it's just a band, and they don't need you to defend them.

You folks need to lighten up, and start working on creating your own identities.
  4. I'm way too used to hearing "This sucks!" or "This sounds like $#!^" or "Turn this trash off!" or "What the F*** is this $#!^?" etc.

I feel like I've progressed nicely in terms of handling what people say regarding the music I decide to listen to. I state the name of the band/singer/artist, and leave it at that. I used to say "I don't really think it's music unless there are people actually playing instruments." But the reaction I always got was "...Uuh...yeah, whatever, man. Just turn this $#!^ off."
    So, I know I can beat my friends at it any day. They can NEVER give me a good comeback for that one. Heck, even I can give myself an argument for it... "It has melody, it has rhythm, therefore it's music, regardless of whether or not the people are playing instruments."

But oh well, to each their own. I've stopped listening to people who call anything '$#!^' as if it's the absolute truth. If they say "I think this sucks." Then I'll listen to them. If they state "This is $#!^", then I tell myself they should f*** off and learn to give only as much as they can take. I have yet to be driven to the point where I tell them to their face that they need to get a life outside of drugs, booze, raves & arcade games and learn to accept other peoples' opinions. I just feel like it's a waste of my time and breath to say something like that to them, because I KNOW they're not gonna get it.

Ok, enough ranting from me for now.
  5. bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just get a little annoyed when people insult my taste. I can't help what I like in the same way that I can't help what color my skin is. Some of what was being said on the thread in question sounded more like bigotry than an expression of a simple opinion, and I can't stand for it.

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I suppose you have a point, and maybe I have a biased opinion,but I believe I would have said the same about any other artist, even if I didn't like them. Then again maybee I wouldn't have.

BTW: I don't personally believe I overassociate with RHCP too much, perhaps my handle/signature give the wrong impression.