Do velcro tape ruin your effect pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Mar 30, 2005.

1. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002

I've just bought the pedal case RC 23000 A from Rockcase/Warwick. Do the included velcro tape ruin the effect pedals? Will the tape be fully removable e.g. if I'm going to trade off a pedal later on?

Right now I'm into finding an alternative way of attaching my pedals to the board. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to use a single pedal w/o the board at smaller gigs without the single pedal sliding around on the velcro tape bottom.

2. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I bought an "uber pedal of massive power +5" the other day and was extremly dissapointed by the sound quality after I applied about a half inch of velcro tape to the bottom.

The velcro tape destroyed all the little gnomes inside the pedal that make it uber, the tape ate away at all the paint on the pedal, the tape almost destroyed my bass when I pluged it in. The tape even tried to kill my drummer with a candlestick in the library. After my drummer complained I ripped the tape off (it was an epic battle I assure you) and then used a colossial 2 ml of 409 to destroy the sticky residue it left on the bottom of my magical pedal.

Next time I am going to buy a pedal I'll just use a hammer and/or a nail gun to get it to stick to the board.
  3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Most of the adhesives on the velcro I've used actually doesn't hold so well.

Once you've placed the pedals, it'll be fine, but if you (like) constantly move them around, you might have issues.

Pedals with straight steel bottoms will hold. I've had the same velcor attached to the bottom of my Volume and Wah for over a year.

Pedals with full rubber bottoms (DOD, Digitech, BOSS, etc.) have a problem.

I've actually not had a problem selling pedals with the velcro still attached.
  4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    You forgot the "Power supply of Ragnorok". It has a +7 to saves against velcro. It might not be too late!! The paint is gone, but "elixir of funkadelic" will fix that. The "Power Supply of Ragnarok" will revive the "Uber gnomes" and erase your drummer's memory of the attempted murder!
  5. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Ok, that was kind of my guess. I think I'm going to cut some sheet of foam rubber to fit my pedals (like the Boss BCB-60) and stick the foam rubber to the velcro board. When transporting the pedal case, I will hope that the case cover will hold my effects in place.

6. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    *L* I stopped mid-thought.

Honestly, you're going above and beyond anything you need to do. Most other guitar players use pedal boards or other apparatus to keep their pedals in place.. and yes.. they use velcro.. it's par for the course.

The rubber on teh bottoms of those pedals doesn't hold onto the adhesive on the velcro very well. if you set your pedals and don't move them around, it' s not problem.

If you choose to sell/trade the pedal later, it should come off easilly. If not, there shouldn't beee too much an issue with selling a pedal with velcro.
  7. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I think my post was lost on him.

Everyone hold your hand on top of your head to catch anything flying over it. :hyper:
  8. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This used to be a problem with my Boss TU-2 tuner... rather than cover the entire bottom of the pedal with velcro, I then used just a couple of velcro strips, deliberately cut longer so that they also adhered to the sides of the pedal case. Holds the pedal down great.

Same here...
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I just drive 5" drywall screws through all of my pedals to secure them to the board. so far I've been lucky and not killed anything vital.

As far as velcro goes, the hardware store has "industrial" velcro that could probably hold the wheels on my truck.
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    ***NOTE! The following represents a drastic, essentially permanent (read: almost irreversible) solution. It is not intended to suggest that it is the ideal solution , especially if you decide you want to sell the pedal or if you simply don't want the velcro. In no way am I suggesting that everyone do this as it is rather extreme and potentially harmful to the ozone, the elderly and even some breeds of cats. Beware this solution if you have an aversion to permanence or if you are allergic to the substance suggested. Your pedals may ultimately revolt and the universe may fall out of balance. As always, I cannot be held responsible for your actions, your mileage may vary, buyer beware, and crickets keep me awake at night.

I use Super Glue.
  12. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    The velcro I use to attach on the bottom of my pedals works fine and doesn't ruin the paint. I've also tried to take it off than putting it on again and it still works great.
    Anyway, if the velcro would ruin the pedals, I didn't mind...
    The only problem I had with velcro was with pedals with a silver label on the bottom (like Boss, Digitech...).
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Velcro is the standard for a reason, everyone uses it and it's universal! A lot of times, used pedals are found with Velcro because people DO tend to use it! You shouldn't have any problem selling pedals with some 'cro on the bottom unless you're selling to a noob who doesn't want his pedals sliding around his bedroom floor.