do videos really help?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by intillectualmin, Oct 27, 2002.

1. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    i cant really afford lessons, so i was wondering if those self help video things are useful... and if u think they are... do u have any suggestions? if you do, feel free to lemme know.. thanx
  2. lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    I havent had too much experience with videos, but I always felt in the end I got more out of books.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Depends on your skill level and the video. What are you looking for?

If you just want some basic information for simple rawk, I'd recommend any of Roscoe Beck's blues videos.
  4. you should get that video that they passed around on TB!! Sounds like it was a great one!!
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think of most "instructional" videos as <b>inspirational</b> videos. Most videos only have marginal value as learning tools.

Books and teachers(!) are much better.
  6. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    thanx for the replies guys, but do u have any recommendations for books then? im tryin to learn more theory and improve my technique (ie slapping) anyway.. thanx for the help
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, if slapping is your major interest, there is one excellent video on slapping that has been praised frequently here at TalkBass. It is the video by Alex Sklarevsky. It is the one and only slapping video that i have never read a bad thing about. Mind you I do not have it, but have been interested in it myself because of the praise it gets. It may be hard to locate, though, because it has been on the market for years.

As for slapping books, I think the best are the ones that have CDs along with the book. Slapping rhythms can be tricky to read. Having a CD really helps you hear the feel of the example.

I have a slapping book/CD by Tony Oppenhiem, plus I have two great book/CD sets by Jon is "Funk, Fusion Bass" and one is "Funk Bass." I'd start with the latter one first. Both will teach you alot. They are written in both tab and standard noataion. I don't know which you prefer.

As for my general opinion on videos. I bought several in the past. They are interesting, but I think you get far better value out of a good book/CD set. The book/CDs seem far more practcial to me. You don't have to keep rewinding the video and the booklets that accompany the videos are never anywhere near quality of the books.
  8. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    wow.. thanx a lot boblicity.. thats what i was lookin for.. ill have to go look for those book/cds now.. hehe... thanx a lot