Do Warwick/Spector really have a unique sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Nov 1, 2004.

1. I was talking to TaySte(steve) last night, and he was telling me about the Sansamp DI bass driver. He said that with one of those I could get the gritty growl I want with any bass. I've always thought the gritty growl I want comes from a warwick with an overdriven amp. Surely if i can get the growl I want, then all my years of warwick buying and hunting(and learning to like the stylingh) has been in vain, and perhaps I should just go by looks if I can get the sound I want with any bass? And what about spectors too, do they have a unique sound? Help! :crying: :(
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Due to the combination of it's woods and wenge fingerboard, Warwicks have a very unique sound. I really don't think that you're going to get a Warwick's tone and sound with a Sansamp. JMO. As for the Spectors, I really couldn't tell you.
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Very true the wood and such do effect the tone but Nick isn't shooting for warwick tone he wants growly (Nickelback - Never Again) tone, which I feel is pretty easy to get with any bass and maybe a sansamp infact dig in enough and you probably wouldn't need the sansamp.

Just my opinion
  4. I've dug in as hard as a can, used an overdriuve pedal, and still I can't get close. I can get close with my Ashdown overdriven with the rebop, but it still isn't bang on. Is the tone on Never Again a combination of warwick, mesa, and overdrive? It's just if I hadn't thought Mike's sound was all bass, I owuld NEVER have looked at warwick twice, or spector.....I was a fender and musicman freak. I just feel like i've forced myself to like warwick's styling, when I need not have. Or perhaps i'm being a tit.
  5. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I think you've hit the nail on the head there Nick! j/k :rolleyes: :D :bag:

The tone you are looking for is a combination of many variables, some of which you can buy, some of which you can't afford and some of which you don't possess....
    The bass, the strings, the amp/speaker combinations (tube/ss, 10's/15's/18's), the eq settings, the effects (overdrive, compression etc), the recording technique (mic's, DI'd, combinations), pick or fingers, personal playing technique etc etc etc.

In Warwick and Spector you have two great basses. In Ashdown and Hartke you have two great amps/speakers. Experiment with what you have, maybe try a SansAmp for a little extra growl and tube emulated compression and bear in mind all of the above. Find a sound that you like. If you can't find it I suspect it has more to do with you than your gear....

Be patient.... :meh:
  6. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    It's that crummy Spector thats holding you back I think you should sell it :D

Get your self a Nice Musicman 5
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Here's something else to need to consider: if you're trying to nick the tone of a recording, you'll have to know if it was recorded directly through the board, did they mic an amp, or both. There are all kinds of varibles, that have nothing to do with the bass or amp to think about when trying to cop a specific tone from a record.
  8. Hmmmm.......a musicman 5. Well, I could. But I can't help feeling they're mass producedand very un-individual. And Steve, I need to talk to you on MSN about the spector.
  9. I think I need to do some research into Nickelback's recording techniques.....I may need some help here guys(where to look etc.)
  10. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Nickelback use a mesa boogie dual rectifier guitar stack as part of their live bass rig (dialled in or out depending on the ballad-ness of the song they're playing at any given time)... The rest of his rig is peavey pro amps, gps series power amps, 8x10 cabs and 1x15 cabs... Don't know if that's any use to you or not...
  11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
  12. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Their recording techniques aren't gonna help you get your live bass tone Nick.

Find a tone yourself that is YOU and people will recognise as YOU :bassist:
  13. Hmmm, but I aint sure I want that. I like his sound, it's perfect, i dont want another osund. That sound is ME!
  14. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :spit: ;)

As said, there are about 5 million factors that go into coppin' someone else's sound, it seems like a bit of a waste of cash to spend a lot in search of a sound that is distinctly someone else's however.
    Regardless, I don't think you can quite replicate a warwick or spector with a little box, unless teh bass is actually sampled into it or something. They are unique and special beasts.
  15. Nick, The bodies and necks are massed produced, but all the electronics, hardware, finishing touches, etc. are all done by hand by people at the factory - I know this due to the fact that I know people that work there and I've visited it before (Down the street from me). MM quality control is damned good if you ask me.
  16. I never said that MM aren';t good. It's just warwicks have a more individual look.....with that natural bubinga top, my warwick sure looks more individual than any MM.
  17. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Dont worry about the look cause thats usaly what dosent leave a lasting impression on somebody.Look at all the great players that played fender,musicman and more commonly shaped.Dont worry about falling into a look.

Oh and yeah A musicman can easly cut through a mix as well as warwick and I owned 5 warwicks.I like the warwicks tones better imo but the stingary I found pretty much works with any style or type of song.
  18. I used to love MM and fender....I compared all basses to them, because they were among the first basses I saw. But then I took a step back, and thought 'hang on, why am I saying this bass has such and such a thing wrong with it, i'm comparing it to a stignray'. I started to take things for what they were, not for what they were compared to a musicman.
  19. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Spectors always amaze me. I have always dug the body style but never cared for their necks. When I was selling them with a local music store here I would take them to the amp room and plug them in. I said to myself countless times, "man, EMG's and maple bodies. I don't know. This is going to be bright and sterile." I would plug in a Euro 4 neck through and just be floored. They indeed have a tone all their own and it's great. The sustain is also fantastic.