Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do we have any coin collectors here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 19, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just curious as to how many of our Bass playing friends here at Talk Bass collect coins. I will start, i collect American coinage from all periods.

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    It's funny you ask..... no.

But I have a bunch of silver quarters and about 6-7 1's and 5's from the 20's and 30's which are printed backwards and both front and back images are printed on one side.....

The Mrs. says there worth millions but I think there worth about a pack of butts.

Should I have them appraised???

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I collect quarters for the T

:meh:

When I was a kid I had a wide array of foreign coins, but I don't think I still have any.

4. MAJOR METAL

Sure why not, i know a guy near me who could help you out when your ready.

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

REALLY!!!!!!! I ready.... this weekend????

6. MAJOR METAL

OK, maybe if you have time we could GC in Commack.

7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    if for nothing more than poops and sniglets.... then ok :D

and off we go to appraise old money and afterwards visit our local drug/bass dealer....... good plan man.. :D i'm in.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Bustin' - you should definitely get a handle on the value of those bills... but before you get your hopes up, know that unless they are in crisp, uncirculated mint condition, the value is not likely to be all that great. Also know that any one casual appraisal should not be taken as being definitive - unless this appraiser *specializes* in U.S. error currency. My parents found some Civil War confederate notes hidden in some old family heirlooms, and I was able to figure out what I had (and what it was worth) through some basic internet research, and just confirmed things with an appraiser.

:)

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Good heads up meng....
    They have been circulated and a bit creased..... but who knows, maybe worth a bongo. :D

I will advise any outcome Mr. Donkey. Over and out.

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I picked up all sorts of old and foreighn coins when I was a lad......still have them somewhere....only thing that might be of value is a 1921 One Dollar coin......looks quite nice too!

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I'm not a coin collector but I know that some "error" coins are worth big bucks.

I found one of the new commerorative quarters that was slightly mis-struck and I sold it on ebay for close to $40.00.

If any appraiser shows a lot of interest in buying your goods, be careful. Not all of them are honest.

Harrell S.

12. KidNamedFord

KidNamedFord

Aug 17, 2003
    MI
    aye, for about 5 years, my grand dad would give me coin **** for my birth day. ive got all kinds of stuff like an 1853 three cent piece (not sure what you call it), and like led or whatever pennies from world war 2, indian head pennies from the real early 1900s, and the uncirculated mint sets for a few years of the 90's... probably worth something but i dont know.

13. MAJOR METAL

Those State quarters have broght alot of people into coin collecting, we still have few years to go for all the states.

14. MAJOR METAL

Any more of you?

15. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    i have a bunch of really valuable coins.

my prized one is a coin from when the romans occupied israel. It a couple thousand years old.

I also have a bunch of gold coins from france that are from the 1800's. They are about the size of a nickel but weigh as much as a silver dollar.

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Not a serious collector, but I have a good number.

I have a good number of coins that I've collected from all over the world. Oldest one is Roman...I forget how old. I should organize them sometime.

My favorites are U.S. bills and coins. I have several Indian head pennies, a couple of buffalo nickels and Mercury quarters, a bunch of two dollar bills, a bunch of silver dollars, and other stuff. I like pennies a lot, so I also have a nickel penny from WWII and whenever I get a wheat penny, I keep it for good luck. I have a small piggy bank filled with them.

When I was a kid working at a grocery store, someone bought some stuff and paid for it with exact change. When I was putting it in the register, I noticed that the quarter felt funny. Sure enough, when I checked it out later, it turned out to be a silver quarter...When I bought lunch during my break, I made sure my change included that one!

I also have a ring that's made from a Kennedy half-dollar. It's pretty cool; it has the word "L i b e r t y" across the band and stars on the inside.

Marshall