1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do we need a Traveler Bass Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CharlyG, Feb 26, 2016.

1. CharlyG

CharlyG ~ he not busy being born Is busy dying.

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    Just wondering.....I put Chromes on my 4P and I'm lovin the tone! I had to perform surgery on the blue "string" .......

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i had a traveler ultra light bass but sold it. later this year will probably be buying a red 4P - i've been playing a burst one every time i visit GC, and that thing is way comfortable - i like the 32" scale and the fact it uses 34" strings.

what is this blue "string" of which you speak?

3. CharlyG

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    Because of the winding of Chromes, they put a blue "silk" thread at both ends to make it smoother, and wrap it for a ways. With the Long Scale set it won't work otherwise. The "silk" goes over the nut and bridge!

pcake likes this.
  4. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    I put a set of Ernie Ball's Slinky Flats Coblat on my black 4P. Great feel, bright tone, less smooth than chromes. I like.
    The bass is doing exactly what I bought it for. Portable, light and I will not cry if anything bad happens to it. Not to be used as a professional stage/studio bass though.

5. CharlyG

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    Why not? I think it could work in a HUGE venue with a big amp. I love the tone of this bass.

6. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    The sound is nice but not as a good real (specs) Pbass, to me anyway. I'm also not comfortable with the small body, short scale and wide neck profile. Hardware is low quality, tuners have bad response (these are actually guitar machine heads). I consider it a very nice usable toy. It's with me when I go out to teach or whenever appropriate. I hope no one gets offended... I just prefer my Ken Smith on stage and in the studio.

7. CharlyG

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    No, but I actually found the parts on the bass of decent quality. I'm not gonna change a thing. I COULD put the real SD pup in there instead of the DD,but it sounds great on our recordings.. well the one I tried first. I'm gonna redo that one with the 4P. Altho just adding the SCR may do the trick. The 4P has WAY more sustain than my other 2 basses combined! It's true I don't have the TOL gear, but it's good enough for me. I very seldom have to tweak the tuning, it stays pretty well locked in, at least with Chromes for strings.