1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do we need knife permits?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm at a community college and an instructor saw her student drop a pocket knife in class. The blade was 3 ".

Are there rules governing carrying knives in public or in school?

2. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Most schools have a sign posted out front saying "not permitted on campus" listing all the things you'll probably get suspended/ expelled for. Knives are generally part of that list, but on a college campus, there must be some leniency because students will need them sometimes, like when they're in their dorm. I doubt there's any leniency for one in a classroom though.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    It depends on your jurisdiction. In California, there are no state-defined limits on length, as long as it's a folding, non-spring or gravity assist when you open it. Some cities have specific carry limitations. In Berkley, for example, you cannot carry a knife over 3".

Check with your state and local laws.

4. [​IMG]

That's not a knoif.

5. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    No permit for knives. :ninja: Is that a joke? :ninja:

For the most part, state and local laws apply for knives, like most states have a ban on switchblades.

6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I see you've played knoify spoony befoha'...

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    the last I heard here in CA, you can carry Under 4" without a permit, while over 4" you will need one.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! I'm in a motors and controls class that requires a lot of stripping different sizes of wire. If I showed up to my community college WITHOUT a knife I would be laughed out of class.

9. I always have a swiss army knife on hand at my university, maybe laws are more strict in the US, but I just whipped it out in class today because it was relevant for discussion, and there were no problems with it. Granted, it's just a victorinox multi-tool type knife with a bottle and can opener, and the two small blades, nothing crazy.

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I don't know when it changed, but here in Alabama you can now carry a spring assisted or gravity knife which was illegal when I was a teen.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The answer is no. Doesn't matter the question....the answer is no....or 42.

The best thing you could do for your teacher to show her her stupidity is drop her off bare naked in the middle of an open field, 6 days walk from any civilization.....without a knife.

12. I suggest the OP simply check the website of his campus/town / state to answer his own question. that would be a good start.

But students carry folding knives with varying length blades all the time...and campus regs won't change that.

For that matter, my daughters went to high school in an area where half the students were farm and ranch kids - I'll bet that at least 25% of the guys in every single class had folding knives on them every day. For that matter, my oldest daughter did her share of outdoors stuff and carried a 2" folding knife herself most of the time.

This is another reason why zero tolerance policies of any kind are stupid and cannot be reasonably enforced.

13. why is the OP being a busy body?

14. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    That's concealed. Openly carried - i.e., on your belt - you can carry any length you want. I could walk down the street with a sword, assuming that local codes didn't restrict it.

15. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    There were some significant changes in the California laws recently regarding knives. As long as it folds, and doesn't use a spring or gravity to assist opening, it's legal, barring county or city ordinances to the contrary.

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/law/caknifelaws.shtml

That's for CA, and only applies at the state level.

16. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Actually, as I read it, and as a link in the document you linked elaborates (http://www.assistedknives.com/AssistedKnifeLaw.html) a spring-assisted opener is just fine as long as it meets all other criteria.

An assisted-opener is -not- an automatic ('switchblade') as defined by California or federal law. Specifically, it has a 'bias to close' which must be expressly overcome by force in order for the spring assist to take effect.

17. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    You are correct. I forgot that the Spring-assist are NOT considered switchblades, as long as they meet a couple of criteria.