Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do ya'll think this would be a good buy???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panic_striken, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I have no idea what the new or used market is for Subs, but Id think $500 is a great deal. Allthough thats opening bid and doesnt meet reserve, so no telling.

2. I think SUB's go for $6-700 new. I really dont like the subs but, Even if I did, I would only pay $4-550 for a used one, in great condition.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Looks like a good bet. Bet 550, see if you hit the reserve, otherwise I'd look for new.

4. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Yeah,
    given that the reserve is not met yet, I'd leave it alone. I checked on Musiciansfriend and the X02s and X03s go for $695.00 new.

5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I don't know why exactly, but I don't like the SUB basses. They seem to me to be like an import version of the real thing - StingRay or Sterling??? Anyone else like that?

6. I just hate the way the feel, The neck feel is horrible and the way the body is painted feels like crap also.

MM released the SUB's to compete with Fender in that price range, well... Fender isnt exactly losing...

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Nice to see you around panic! :)

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Check out a shop that carrieds Musicman and and see if you like the SUB. For the money, and the fact that they are domestic; I think they're great. As for this axe on eBay; hey, you can get a new one for a little over $100 more. If wouldn't pay more than $550 for it otherwise just get a new one in the color you want with a nice warrantee. hell, I go to eBay to find sweet deals. $500 would be a sweet deal. Anything more...bah!

r

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    SUBs are pretty good basses, made in the states and frankly are solidly built, just using uglier wood, slab bodies and a less expensive finish. Why buff out a clearcoat when you can spray on a rhino-lining? It's an American bass, solidly built, and if you can get over the wacky finish, the active version is VERY similar to a 2 band Stingray.

It's more of a Sadowsky Metro type, less options to keep costs down. No waiting for that finish you want, matching headstock and pickguard choice on maple. Nope, SUB's offer four colors on rosewood, active or passive. Take it or leave it.

$500 would be an okay price for a used SUB. Throw in a hardshell case, I'd go up to about $550 in mint condition. After seeing the Zoom, I'd ask him to run it over and throw poloroids of the destruction into the case for my pleasure. Not worth shipping that.

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    +1 :p

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yeah the Zoom is utterly worthless imho, I'm not a SUB man so I'll reserve judgement on this.

12. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I have played a Sub Bass, and I was impressed very much. The Zoom I was thinking would just be a novelty. I'm sure it has a few usable settings.