1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you actually like EH?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kyral210, Apr 8, 2009.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Ok, I know people love the company, and they a great 'emotional buzz' in the community, but do you love the stuff they make? I own a big muff NYC reissue and find it pretty unusable 99% of the time. I also own a nano switchblade which does the job, but its nothing more than I could build myself. Dispite this, I just cant find a great use for their stuff.

My overdrive of choice is the Boss ODB-3 (just for info).

2. Yes.

3. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    I like them. I just don't like their visual appeal.

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I used to have a bunch of their 90s-made pedals, the Big Muff reissues and so on, and thought they sounded good but weren't very robust or reliable.

The newer XO-series stuff, I like very much.

To me, they generally sound good and have a control setup that is pretty intuitive, and I've had a lot of success with them...

5. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I love EH.

6. i like a few of the boxes, the holy grail for example, bass big muff, memory man.

that being said the micro synth was not for me.

7. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    I'm a pretty big fan. Their reliable, and their pedals are quite versatile, although I agree that the Big Muff is pretty worthless on bass (many around here would disagree with us). I love the chorus sound of my Stereo Electric Mistress, and find the POG to be a great pedal. The switchblade is a standard A/B pedal, so your seemed distaste for them based on those two pedals is not very well placed imo

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Love the Small Stone, like the BMS and will gladly use a Big Muff, but only if it's biamped or blended.

Outside of that, I either haven't dug or in a few cases haven't played the rest of their product line.

But that's just personal preference. I'm not really understanding the "I haven't found a use for their stuff". EHX makes a huge range of different effects.

9. I use the bass micro synth(w/ mod), us bassballs and the metal muff and I love em all. Some of their pedals are on the big side but they have a micro series now.

10. They make great effects for the money, i've got a clone theory, octave multiplexer and stereo pulsar, all recent xo versions, and they do everything i need. admittedly there are some pretty crazy parameters on some of the knobs especially the pulsar, but darn it, we need crazy parameters.

11. The Bass Big Muff is pretty sweet when it's on the blend setting, the other Muffs, not so great unless you want to lose all low end. I've had mixed results with their other products- the Micro Synth could sound great but way too many controls and it was not a quick switch to a different sound. I ditched it. The POG was great when I played in a 3 piece... when blended in w/ the band, it was a pretty convincing organ sound w/ solid low end. On the other hand, the Soul Preacher was the most horrid compressor I have used... farted out like mad and sucked tone.

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I do like EHX, but I don't use their stuff live. I have a hand full of EHX stuff and I find it all useful and fun but none of it sits well with my other gear and tone.

I personally feel that the Big Muff in the hands of others is better then from it's creators, the little guys are out striping them on quality and tone; the only muff I'll use for live at this time is a GGG tuned BMP that I built from a kit.

13. Mads

Mads Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Oslo, Norway
    Love? No...

Like and appreciate some of their stuff? Yes...

Like their BMS, BBM and regular Muffs as well...

But then again I do not love the rest of their products that I've tried, but I guess they have their use for other people with other needs...

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The thing I like about EH is that their effects are always just a little more extreme and a little more subtle than other companies' pedals. I don't like all their pedals...some I find pretty useless...but the ones I like I really like. You'd have to kill me before I ever gave up my vintage Deluxe Electric Mistress flanger...or pay me $350 ;)

15. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, I love 'em. For the money they can't be beat. On my board I currently have a POG, which is the best tracking octave I've ever played, a BMS, which is far and away the best synth for south of $300, a Stereo Polyphase which is the best envelope phaser I've played and a Q-Tron+ XO, which might actually be getting replaced by the 3leaf. Interestingly enough, I'm not a big muff fan.

16. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    and guys....its EHX!

17. i think the bigg muff sounds good(except you dont sound like a bass anymore) on its own BUT you disapear when everything else comes in.

18. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    yes. big muff, small stone, holy grail, pog. love em.

19. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I've had a Q-Tron and a Nano Clone. Honestly....I think that there are a plethora of envelope filters that would do the job with a smaller footprint and that can be run off of 9v.

The Nano Clone sucks.

The BMS I'm very interested in.

Never had any of their other pedals so can't comment on them. I'd like EHX more if they would standardize their wacky voltage requirements.

20. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i love their old stuff a lot. their 70's and 80's models are really great IMO and the stuff of theirs i buy most.

i do really like them as a company and appreciate their newer pedals too, i just tend to like the sounds on the older stuff better.