Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you all think p-bass is good for slap and pop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass gone Loco, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Bass gone Loco

Bass gone Loco

May 31, 2001
    Hey yall, I new to this board, and im glad to be here. I been playing for a year now. I just want know if you all think P-Basses sound good at slap and pop?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Someone.....hold.....me.....backkkkk.....

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    (People never learn, do they?)

What WE think is totally irrelevant. Only what YOU think really matters.

4. Then again, rephrased, this question could end up as "I'd like to know what you guys think of the slap/pop tone you can get out of a P-bass", in which case our opinions would be what's being asked of.

As for me...I'd tell you, but I've never slapped anything when testing out basses in stores, because I don't usually plan on doing it unless absolutely called for, or I want to screw around with it.
    Other than that, I've never tested a P bass in a shop. Actually, Fender basses just seem kidna...boring now that I've heard about Warwick, Pedulla, Sadowsky, Spector, Warrior, Carl Thompson, Conklin and all them other ones here at TB...heck, the only Fenders I've tried since I got my '62 jazz reissue is the Geddy Lee jazz & a fretless jazz, but I didn't try the fretless through an amp. I was mostly testing it just to see how a fretless feels...
    I like...:D:p
    Next time I stop by Tom Lee's (probably this weekend, when exams are finally over) I'll probably try a fretless. Unfortunately, all the fretless basses they've got are fretless Fender jazz basses. I wonder what ever happened to that 5 string Pedulla MVP/Buzz... :D:p

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    P-Basses aren't the go if you wanna exercise your thumb and forefinger, man ... the split-coil pickup doesn't give you that *twang* you need for that kind of exercise - Precisions are reknowned for giving great fingerstyle tones and that's what they're purpose built for. if you wanna slap yourself silly, your best bet is an Ernie Ball Musicman - these things are funk machines ! :D but a little on the pricey side ...

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...a whole bunch of guys have slapped & thumped on P-basses(especially in the '70s). ;)

Definitely a different tone; personally, I did notice a BIG difference when I eventually got around to adding a Jazz pickup in the bridge postion to both my P-basses(ie, that "twang").

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    'Sfunny; The "Funk Machine" was actually a Fender P-bass...Jamerson's Fender P-bass. ;)
    (& I'm not disputing your claim about MusicMan Stingrays; I put mine away 'cause it was "good" ONLY for a metallic slap tone, IMO).

8. Hey Jim are you saying that the MM has a metallic slap tone?

Just wondering becuase that is why I got rid of mine. The thing was just to darn bright sounding for me.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I love the sound of my P bass elite 2 for slap, the dual active pups are great. I recommend you go and try a few different P basses.

10. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    James Jamerson never slapped. Not once. This is going to sound strange, but I have a P bass that is set up just for slapping. I put an EMG pickup in it and 2 9 volt batteries. I really dig the tone from this combination, however I have another pickguard set up so I can change between this pickup and the original easily... The more I think about it, that more I think that it isn't actually a P bass.

11. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    I slap a "P", but I use a floor pedal to EQ it. I take out some of the mids - what P's are know for. They tend to muddy up slap. I boost the lows for oomph and the highs for snap. Not quite a smiley face, but almost. More of a sheepish grin... (where do I come up with these dumb things?)

By using a floor pedal, I can switch that tone in whenever I need it, and go back to my classic P tone quickly.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Depends on what sound you're after.

the P has a vintage slap sound that people either love or hate.

If you want a modern slap sound, e.g. Flea :rolleyes: or Vic Wooten, Alain Caron, Marcus Miller et al, a regular passive P won't make you happy.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and your point? ;)
    In any event, Jamerson's bass was dubbed "The Funk Machine".
    (One of the reasons Jamerson fell out of favor during the 'mid-'70s studio/recording scene-
    He had no desire to slap; he didn't like roundwound strings...).

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My MM bass was/is too metallic & bright.
    When I first got it(in '78; & they were difficult to get back then, too...waiting list!), I was in heaven; I was young, I was slapping every damn thing, etc. For ME, though, that wore off after about 6 months; I then went out & bought an early Schecter P-bass('78)...later, I added a J-pickup in the bridge postion(happens to be my "main bass" today).

15. OK now at least I know I am not crazy, at least about that subject. It is/was nice for slap but when I recorded with it doing anything but slap the tone was not very good.

16. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    To clarify, the question was about slap and pop, not Jamerson style finger funk. I used to own a '70s P-Bass and did a lot of very percussive things, but I did wind up adding a single coil J pickup in the bridge position which helped it immensely in the twang arena. You can slap and pop on anything. I don't think you'd find the P bass conducive to it, but that's a taste and a comfort issue (the P-bass neck is not slender, he adds, providing a bit of understatement). I have a MM Sterling, which is great for both fingerstyle and funk playing (more versatile tonally than the StingRay). A Jazz, Marcus Miller Jazz, probably the new Urge--they would all be better slap and pop instruments if you want to stick with a Fender, I would imagine.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...to further clarify-
    Tones mentioned "Funk Machines"; Jamerson's bass(a P-bass)was called "The Funk Machine"...no slap/pop, true. Funk? Well...
    Anyway, it just struck me as funny, that's all(sorry I'm not an AABA, stay-on-the-topic kinda poster; my bad...).

I did do a little thinking about this topic while I sat in traffic this afternnon; I do recall MY P-bass NOT being very slap/pop friendly. In fact, a popped G or D sounded horrible. For a long time, I THUMBED every note & hadda keep fresh roundwound strings on tha beast.
    Adding the J-pickup to that bass was a revelation.

Check out the attached pic-

18. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    hehe glad i amuse you, JimK :p but i won't hold a grudge on account of you know your sh*t and i've learnt a lot from you input at activebass.com :D rock on, man

19. kfisher

kfisher

Jun 7, 2001
    Mesquite, Tx
    Now if modern slap tone is what you want I would probably recommend a J-bass or a stingray but if you're into old school funk and disco it might be your thing. I have a 74 p bass w/flatwound strings on it and it gets that early Larry Graham Circa '71 real well. Just expect more of a midrangey punch than a scouped out tone.

20. Yes, you can slap and pop on a P if you want to. Even with flatwound strings. If you really want to. I do, occasionally, but it is NOT the orthodox slap/pop sound that people often have in mind when they ask these questions.

For an orthodox slap sound, you need cut mids (P bass is quite middy, as Dytakeda pointed out), and the top end overtones a bridge pickup and roundwound strings give you.