1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you allow family to touch your basses in the home ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 9, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Do you allow family to touch your basses in the home ?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I let total strangers play my bass at the bar!

3. vbass29

vbass29

Jul 30, 2007
    Warrington, PA
    Yes - for now

It's just me and my hubby who is a guitar player. He has my "blessing" to play whatever I have whenever he wants. But the Sadowsky scares him :p

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    yes but not my Lecompte. They are teens and they don't take care of their things (or mine!)

5. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I live alone... But I do let visitors touch my basses.

6. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I'll let anyone who's actually interested in the instrument touch it.

7. Only my dog. He usually gets in a few licks even on my Ritters when I'm not playing them. Gotta wonder what that tastes like?

8. depends on the bass.....my 4 string are s(ut$ but my 6 is off limits

9. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    When i was in high school i use to jam at a budies house, and his bass player would leave his rig there along with his bass a sweet vintage gibby t-bird. One day we went there douring lunch break for a quick jam and i used the t bird, man did dude blow up when he saw me using his bass. I found it so petty so from that day on i've been nice enough to let all who want to play, play. After all music is my life's joy i'm all for spreding it!

10. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    One of my daughter's(18 months) greatest joys in life is banging on all the strings of my bass at once and making a loud ruckus in general. Usually followed by laughter or an exclamation(whoa usually). She is a bit small to hold it though. But, maybe it sparks an interest for her play when she is older. Why would I deny her that? But, only when I am there to supervise.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I let my brother play my basses anytime, because I know he'll treat them right and stuff. Otherwise, my family don't come into contact with them, I'm in not playing them they're kept in cases around my room.

12. I always kept a P.O.S. (piece of sh*t) bass on a stand, along with P.O.S. other intsruments, when my kids were little. By P.O.S. I don't mean that it was unplayable or wouldn't strobe or tune up, I mean that I wouldn't have to make an insurance claim if something happened to it. It was always a no-name pawn shop deal that played acceptably in the shop and, with a little bench work, played pretty nice by the time it had been gone over. P.O.S. or not all instruments were to be respected. Playing, not pounding on, throwing around, etc. Ever seen a kid pounding on piano keys? No way! That kind of thing. Why? I didn't want my kids thinking I was some kind of an anal prick and completely turning them off the idea of playing music. I wanted the concept to be easily acceptable and not all hands off and elitist. The pay off? When my daughter was around five years old she was really, really pissed at me for not buying her something. Instead of throwing a tantrum, she went off and grabbed the P.O.S. acoustic (I really should start that brand!) and wrote a little song, using the three chords she knew at the time. Did I let just any of my equipment sit out? No way. Eventually, not because I didn't trust my kids, but their ****** little freinds had never been taught to respect other people's stuff.

13. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    My dad likes to attempt to play my basses all the time, then always asks me "Wow, how do you play this thing so fast?" as he fumbles around the fretboard.

Once I get my practice amp back from my band's studio I'm going to teach him some scales so we can jam. :bassist:

My friends play around with them a bit too, which I'm fine with. Strangers at bar shows? No way.

14. At home, anyone who wants to can play my bass. At shows it's a different story.

Ken.

15. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I'd be pissed too if someone played my gear without asking.

16. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Only my kids ask, and yes, yes I do. :)

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I would pepper-spray anybody that comes within 2 feet of any of my property, period. And if you touch any of my basses, I will make you swallow the pepper spray bottle after I empty it in your face.

I periodically rub my basses with a mixture of rancid peanut oil and rat poison, to keep small animals and insects away.

Actually, I did have a friend of mine who was paranoic about anybody touching his guitar. He couldn't stand other people's fingerprint in his guitar, saying that he didn't want anybody's negative energy coming in contact with his guitar. Drugs, I'm sure.

18. Sure, for the most part.

It's just the wee ones I have to keep an eye on. You know how they usually just drop something when they are done playing with it.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I let my kids play my basses, w/ some caveats...

My 19 year old son, works as a welder/fabricator... & in this summer heat, he comes home really gross. I dont even let him on my furniture, until he gets good & clean... Same goes for touching my basses.

My 17 old daughter, is very hands off. She's curious, but not enough to actually go grab one.

Whats funny is, my Metro cost me more than my CAR did... LOL....